The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'

Carers and Disability Benefits

This section lists the categories about claiming for carers and disability benefit allowances or tax credits in the United Kingdom.

CARER'S BENEFITS: According to Age UK, millions of pounds in benefits go unclaimed every year that carers' can claim.

If you spend 35 hours or more a week caring for someone who is already claiming welfare support, it could be that you are missing out on your benefit entitlements as a carer.

Understanding what financial support you and the person that you take care of are both entitled to can make a significant difference - to both of you.

To simplify the benefit system for carers, there are three main types of benefits.

The first is for those who are not in paid employment (earnings replacement benefits).

There are payments which help to pay for extra costs such as with disabilities or having a child, and the third type are tax credits which top up a low income if you are working (sometimes called means-tested benefits).

Learn more about the Carer's Allowance, or the Employment and Support Allowances (ESA), and there is some important information about the Disability Living Allowance.

Benefits for Carers Guide

Access to Work GuideAccess to Work

ACCESS TO WORK SCHEME: The Access to Work grant provides helpful payments for practical support for individuals with a health condition, mental health condition, or a disability.

Become an Appointee for Someone Claiming Benefits GuideAppointees

APPOINTEESHIP RULES: There are various reasons why some people need help claiming their welfare benefits. If you become an appointee for someone it means you have the legal right to act on their behalf.

Attendance Allowance Benefit Scheme GuideAttendance Allowance

ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE: The Attendance Allowance scheme is a tax-free weekly benefit that could help pay for your personal care if you are aged 65 or over and have severe mental or physical disabilities.

Benefits Calculators GuideBenefits Calculator

BENEFIT CALCULATORS: Using a self-serve benefit calculator helps people determine how much they can claim from national and local government.

Note: The calculation will be completed much smoother if you assemble the documentation needed before you complete the online process.

Benefit Enquiry Line Information GuideBenefit Enquiry Line

BENEFIT ENQUIRIES: The benefit enquiry line has been updated to other helplines for assistance with your benefits. Contact the Disability Benefits Helpline for advice or information about an existing claim for Attendance Allowance (AA), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Blind Person's Allowance GuideBlind Person's Allowance

WHAT IS ALLOWANCE FOR BLINDNESS? The Blind Person's Tax Allowance allows severely sighted people to earn more money before they start to pay Income Tax. This section explains exactly what allowances a blind person will get and how to determine if you are eligible.

Apply for Carer's Allowance Advice GuideCarers' Allowances

APPLY FOR CARER'S ALLOWANCE: Find out how much benefit eligible carers can claim for taking care of someone who needs to be cared for, providing you are caring for them at least 35 hours a week. You can make an application online or use the specific Carers Allowance form DS700 to check how much money you can get each week.

CARER'S CREDIT ALLOWANCE: Caring for someone means you may qualify to claim Carer's Credit. It is a weekly Class 3 National Insurance tax credit used to fill gaps in your National Insurance record.

EMPLOYMENT & SUPPORT ALLOWANCE: The Employment and Support Allowance is a financial benefit given to those who cannot work or personalised help for those who need special assistance at work.

REPORTING CHANGES: Carers who claim the allowance must report any changes in circumstances to HMRC. A change could be if you stop being a care person or start a job earning more than the weekly threshold. Reporting changes is also necessary if you take a break from caring for someone.

CARE AND SUPPORT: The 'Care and Support' system is changing but remember you become an employer if you pay someone to care for you.

CARERS UK: Do you need advice or support for yourself or the people you care for? Contact Carers UK online by email or by telephone 0808 808 7777.

Coal Health Compensation Claims Advice GuideCoal Health Compensation Claims

COAL WORKERS PNEUMOCONIOSIS SCHEME: You can still claim for coal health compensation but only through a special scheme for pneumoconiosis. All other miners' schemes have closed. This also includes claims made by widows or family members of deceased coal miners.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) GuideDisability Living Allowance

DLA FOR ADULTS: Changes to the Disability Living Allowance started in June 2016 and will continue to 2018. This section explains everything you need to know about the DLA Disability Living Allowance benefit UK.

DLA FOR CHILD: A guide explaining the process of the Disability Living Allowance for children including DLA child rates. There is also further information on the DLA eligibility criteria for children with disabilities.

Disability Premiums GuideDisability Premium

DISABILITY PREMIUMS: The extra payments for the Disability Premium are automatically added on top of certain benefits for claimants with severe disabilities and eligible for the entitlement. To qualify for disability premium you must be under Pension Credit age and be registered as a blind person or already getting certain disability benefits such as Income Support or the income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).

Disabled Facilities Grant GuideDisabled Facilities Grant

DFG EXPLAINED: Some Local Authorities offer the DFG in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. A Disabled Facilities Grant helps to cover the cost of making essential improvements to your home.

Disabled Students Allowance GuideDisabled Students Allowance

DSA GUIDE: Some higher education students can get extra money through Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). This guide explains how to apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance using the DSA1 form.

Employment and Support Allowance GuideEmployment and Support Allowance

ESA GUIDE: The Employment and Support Allowance is a financial benefit given to those who cannot work or personalised help for those who need special assistance at work.

Financial Help for the Disabled GuideFinancial Help for the Disabled

DISABILITY AND SICKNESS BENEFITS: The UK Government provides financial help if you are disabled or in poor health. Check out the list of disability and sickness benefits available for adults and children with disabilities.

Help if You are Caring a Disabled Child GuideHelp for Disabled Child

DISABLED CHILDREN: Children with disabilities present various challenges for those who look after them. But, financial concessions are available for people who need help caring for a disabled child.

Incapacity Benefit GuideIncapacity Benefit

INCAPACITY BENEFIT EXPLAINED: Some people call it 'being on sick pay' or 'on the sick'. But in simple terms, the Incapacity Benefit is for those with a disability or a sickness.

Income Support Benefit GuideIncome Support

INCOME SUPPORT: Claimants of Income Support get an extra weekly payment which is related to earnings and mostly helps those who are on low income - or no income at all.

Complain to the Independent Case Examiner GuideIndependent Case Examiner

COMPLAIN TO THE INDEPENDENT CASE EXAMINER: A guide explaining who to contact about unresolved complaints regarding services from any agency within the Department for Work and Pension (DWP). Contact the Independent Case Examiner at the Government Office in Merseyside, if your case cannot be resolved.

Independent Living Fund GuideIndependent Living Fund

ILF GUIDE: The Independent Living Fund has closed to new applications. It used to provide funds to help disabled people live an independent life. Your local council is responsible for ILF payments in England and Wales. ILF Scotland is responsible for payments in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit GuideIndustrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

IIDB GUIDE: An informative section explaining everything about Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. The guide also includes details on IIDB eligibility and how to claim the payments.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) GuidePersonal Independence Payments

NEW PIP BENEFIT: The Personal Independence Payment benefit is replacing Disability Living Allowance. PIP is a regular payment for those with a long-term illness or disability. That means new claimants aged 16 to 64 should find out how and when to claim PIP. The Personal Independence Payment helps towards the costs of ill-health if you qualify.

PIP CHECKER: Use the Government PIP Checker to see how Personal Independence Payments affect you. The online facility also helps to check if it affects a person you care for. Find out how it affects your child and when you should make a fresh claim for PIP.

Reduced Earnings Allowance GuideReduced Earnings Allowance

REA GUIDE: A weekly payment for qualifying claimants whose income drops because of a work-related disease or accident. The Reduced Earnings Allowance support benefit is for those who cannot earn their potential due to the industrial injury or disorder.

Severe Disablement Allowance GuideSevere Disablement Allowance

SDA GUIDE: UK Government continue phasing out the Severe Disablement Allowance. Find out how moving from Severe Disablement Allowance to ESA affects people with severe disabilities.

Specialist Employability Support GuideSpecialist Employability Support

SES GUIDE: The Specialist Employability Support programme focuses on people's special talents and abilities. SES helps people get ready for employment or to journey into self-employment.

Vaccine Damage Payment Scheme GuideVaccine Damage Payment

VDPS GUIDE: The Vaccine Damage Payment Scheme is for disabled vaccine injury patients. Find out if you are eligible, how much you could get, and how to apply.

What Happens If You Become Disabled GuideWhat Happens If You Become Disabled

DISABLEMENT GUIDE: This section explains what happens if you become disabled with information about your rights to disability and sickness benefits.

Work Choice GuideWork Choice

DWP WORK CHOICE GUIDE: The Work Choice programme helps disabled people find employment and develop their career. Work Choice specialises in supporting people with disabilities who want to work.

Carers and Disability Benefits Advice Overview