Home Rules Employment Benefits Carers › IIDB Rates and Eligibility
Industrial Injury Benefit Rates 2022

This informative section explains everything about the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. Check if you qualify for IIDB and how to claim the Industrial Injury Benefit 2022 payments.

IIDB GUIDE: The Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is non-means tested and not based on National Insurance.

But it only helps those who got disabled, deafened, or ill from a disease or accident caused by work.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit rates depend most on the seriousness of the disability or illness. Most claimants will get a medical examination performed by a doctor.

The health test determines how serious your disability is and how long they expect it to last.

Note: You cannot claim IIDB if you were a self-employed worker when the accident happened. As a rule the accident must have taken place in the United Kingdom and as a direct result of your work. Carers of those with substantial caring needs may qualify to get Carer’s Allowance.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Rates 2022

The extent (level) of your disability affects the amount of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit you can get.

A medical advisor assesses your disability level scaled from 1 to 100%.

As a rule for disability claims, your assessment level must have the recording of 14% disabled or more to get IIDB.

IIDB Assessed Disablement Level IIDB Rates 2022 (weekly amount)
100% £188.60
90% £169.74
80% £150.88
70% £132.02
60% £113.16
50% £94.30
40% £75.44
30% £56.58
20% £37.72

Note: The Industrial Injury Benefit rates can vary from case to case.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Eligibility Criteria

IIDB Rates 2022: Accident Criteria

Use this guidance to see if you can get IIDB. There are some exceptions to these rules. Your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre can give you further information.

You may qualify to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if:

  • You were in employment when the accident or circumstances happened.
  • You were on one of the approved employment training schemes or a course when the accident or event happened.
  • The circumstances or work accident which caused your illness or disability occurred in England, Wales or Scotland.

IIDB Rates 2022: List of Diseases

Similar regulations apply for claiming IIDB for more than 70 different diseases. Check the government ‘Industrial Injuries benefit: technical guidance‘ for more information. The IIDB scheme covers all these diseases and many others including:

  • Asthma
  • Chronic bronchitis or emphysema (known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD))
  • Deafness
  • Diffuse mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases such as primary carcinoma of the lung
  • Osteoarthritis of the knee in coal miners
  • Pneumoconiosis (including silicosis and asbestosis)
  • Prescribed disease A11 (also known as vibration white finger)

The Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit scheme also covers asbestos related diseases such as:

  • Pneumoconiosis (asbestosis)
  • Diffuse mesothelioma
  • Primary carcinoma of the lung with asbestosis
  • Primary carcinoma of the lung without asbestosis but cases of extensive occupational exposure to asbestos in specified occupations
  • Unilateral or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

Note: A complete list of illnesses is available from a regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre.

How to Claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

The first step to claim IIDB is to complete an application form and then post it to the claims office. The IIDB claim form comes with notes which informs you how to fill it in where to send it.

Download Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Claim Form

Industrial Injuries Benefit Contact Number

You can request the IIDB claim form by phone from the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre.

Barnsley IIDB Centre
Telephone: 0800 121 8379
Textphone: 0800 169 0314
UK phone call charges.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Information

What to do if your circumstances change

Either you, or the one who claims on your behalf, must inform the payment office about any changes to your personal details or circumstances. Be sure to let the office who deal with your payments know if:

  • There is an improvement in the condition for which you get benefit.
  • You marry, remarry, or form a civil partnership and change your name.
  • You change your address, leave the country, or go into prison.

Note: You must report the same changes if you get Unemployability Supplement. This was a support benefit which topped up Industrial Disablement Supplement until 1987.

Claiming Other Disability Benefits

Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA)

You can claim Constant Attendance Allowance for accidents where your disability gets assessed at 100% and you need daily care and attention. Any CAA rate you get paid is based on an assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You might also be eligible to claim £69.90 paid in addition to the standard CAA rates. You will qualify if you get assessed at one of the top two rates of CAA and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA)

You could get the Reduced Earnings Allowance if you:

  • Are unable to perform your usual job or other work with similar pay because of a disease or accident caused by work.
  • Have an injury or disability which began before the 1st of October 1990.

Pneumoconiosis (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979

The Jobcentre Plus Office could pay you a lump sum if you have one of the qualifying diseases such as:

  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Byssinosis
  • Diffuse mesothelioma
  • Bilateral diffuse pleural thickening
  • Primary carcinoma of the lung when accompanied by asbestosis or bilateral diffuse pleural thickening

But you must meet all the following conditions to get the payment:

  • Your dust-related disease must have been caused by your employment
  • You are getting Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for one of the listed diseases
  • You must claim within 12 months of the decision awarding Industrial Injuries benefit
  • You cannot or have not taken civil action because your former employer has stopped trading
  • You have not brought a court action or received compensation from an employer in respect of the disease

The dependant of someone who suffered from a dust-related disease but who has died may also make the claim. But, a dependant claim must get made within 12 months of the death of the sufferer.

Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment

You may still qualify for a payment because of an asbestos-related illness. It is for those who are ineligible for compensation under the Pneumoconiosis etc (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979.

You can claim for the ‘Diffuse Mesothelioma 2008 scheme‘ if you came into contact with asbestos:

  • While you were self employed.
  • Through a family member (e.g. by washing their clothes)

A different payment scheme operates if you got diagnosed with diffuse mesothelioma on or after 25 July 2012. You can still apply for this even if you claimed compensation under the Pneumoconiosis etc (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979.

How Industrial Injuries Benefit Rates affect other Entitlements

You still qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit even if you are benefitting from:

Industrial Injuries benefit rates affect the following if you or your partner are benefitting from them:

Note: Claiming IIDB rates can affect Council Tax Reduction. Contact your local council for further information.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centres
Barrow IIDB Centre
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton, WV98 2BR
Telephone: 0800 121 8379
Textphone: 0800 169 0314

Barnsley IIDB Centre
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton, WV98 1SY
Telephone: 0800 121 8379
Textphone: 0800 169 0314

Note: The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has an online tool called ‘Stat-Xplore‘ to help you create analysis about the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB).

Industrial Injuries Benefit Eligibility Criteria and Current Rates