HomeRulesEmploymentBenefitsJobseekers › Reduced Earnings Allowance
Reduced Earnings Allowance Explained

What is the Reduced Earnings Allowance? REA is a weekly payment for qualifying claimants whose income drops because of a work-related disease or accident.

HOW MUCH IS REA? The 2022 rate for Reduced Earnings Allowance is currently £75.44 per week at its highest level.

The support benefit is for those who cannot earn their potential, due to the industrial injury or disorder.

But, you will only qualify for Reduced Earnings Allowance if your accident happened (or disease started) before the 1st of October 1990.

Reduced Earnings Allowance can affect other income-related benefits that you or your partner claim. The amount you get depends on what you earn in your regular employment.

The Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) centre has further details about the amounts people can get.

Reduced Earnings Allowance After Retirement

You could find that the Retirement Allowance benefit replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance after retirement. It may apply if both:

  • You reach the United Kingdom State Pension age.
  • You are not in a regular employment position.

Any money you get paid will go straight into your bank account or your credit union account. The same process is the same for almost all benefits, allowances, and pensions..

Note: Those who get REA may also qualify for the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB).

Reduced Earnings Allowance Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for the Reduced Earning Allowance you must meet all the following circumstances:

  • The assessment of your disability is at least 1%.
  • You are unable to return to your regular occupation.
  • You are unable to carry out other work with the same earnings level as your regular occupation.

When Does Reduced Earnings Allowance Stop?

You lose your eligibility for Reduced Earning Allowance if you leave the United Kingdom. The same applies if you go overseas to live permanently outside the European Economic Area. The EEA includes all countries in the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland.

As a rule you can claim for the first 3 months of your stay for temporary visits abroad. It can be longer for certain circumstances. You can check to see if you qualify at the International Pensions Centre.

International Pensions Centre
Telephone: 0191 218 7777
Textphone: 0191 218 7021
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Find out the cost of call charges.

If your circumstances change you must inform the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) centre without delay. Changes in your circumstances can include:

  • You stop working or you start work.
  • You change your occupation or your earnings change.

How to Claim Reduced Earnings Allowance

You can get a claim form from the Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre. The guidance notes on the form will help you to fill it in and inform you where to post it. It is best to claim without delay to avoid losing benefit.

Barnsley Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Centre
Telephone: 0800 121 8379
Textphone: 0800 169 0314
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm

Note: Other types of formats are available to help you make a claim such as audio CD, large print, and braille.

Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) Eligibility and Rates in United Kingdom