HomeRulesHousing RegulationsCouncil Tax › How to Apply for a Reduction
Apply for Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Each of the regional authorities has its own rules on how to apply for Council Tax Reduction. This page explains how pensioners and people of working age may apply for a CTR discount.

COUNCIL TAX SUPPORT: The discount may apply to those who are on a low income or claiming benefits.

There is a new procedure to follow when applying online for Council Tax Support. Are you expecting a discount on your bill? If so, you should contact your local council and follow their specific procedure for Council Tax Reduction.

To find out if you are eligible follow these steps and you will get linked up to the CTR service. Enter your postcode information into the online search facility once you get connected.

Council Tax Reduction Online

Council Tax Reduction Replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Your Council Tax bill could get reduced by as much as 100% if you qualify. Council Tax Reduction eligibility criteria includes being on a low income or claiming benefits.

You can apply no matter whether you own your home or you rent a property. You are not ‘automatically’ excluded from claiming CTR even if you are working or unemployed.

The total amount that your Council Tax bill may get reduced will depend on:

  • Your postcode (each council runs its own scheme).
  • Your situational circumstances (e.g. income, benefit entitlements, number of children, residency status).
  • Your household income (including savings, pensions, and income of your partner).
  • Whether your children live with you.
  • Whether any other adults live with you.

Note: Use this system to apply for Council Tax Reduction in England (also called Council Tax Support). A different scheme operates to help pay housing rates in Northern Ireland.

Postcode Lookup Online

Follow the external link to the government website to Apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Note: You will need to enter a valid and full United Kingdom postcode. Enter your UK postcode (e.g. SW1A 2AA).

Applying for Council Tax Reduction (CTR) in the United Kingdom