HomeRulesEmploymentBenefitsEntitlements › Dealing with Unresolved Complaints
Contacting the Independent Case Examiner

Find out how to complain to the Independent Case Examiner. Contact them about any unresolved complaints with DWP services (e.g. at Jobcentre Plus or Debt Management).

DWP COMPLAINTS PROCESS: There is a formal procedure to make an objection about DWP services or agencies.

You should contact the Independent Case Examiner at the government office in Merseyside. But, only if your case cannot get resolved by the DWP office or department.

What is the Independent Case Examiner?

Independent Case Examiner is a service funded by Department for Work and Pensions. A primary role is reviewing grievances lodged with them.

In particular, with the government organisations that deal with benefits and workplace issues. They also handle financial support for people with citizenship in the United Kingdom.

The case examiner provides an independent view on complaints of maladministration. So, they act as an impartial referee for people who feel they got treated ‘unfairly’.

DWP agencies and business organisations try to solve complaints from dissatisfied benefits claimants. But, you can also complain about the way an unresolved complaint got dealt with.

Department for Work and Pensions

The list of Department for Work and Pensions agencies and business organisations includes:

  • Child Support Agency
  • Debt Management
  • Financial Assistance Scheme
  • Independent Living Fund
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • The Disability and Carers Service
  • The Pension Service
  • Note: Before you contact the Independent Case Examiner you must have already had a letter from the agency stating that it is their final response. The same guide is also available in Welsh language (Cymraeg).

How to Complain to the Independent Case Examiner

Use this information to contact the Independent Case Examiner to complain about DWP services. You will need to explain exactly what happened, and when, and then follow the procedure given to you.

Independent Case Examiner
PO Box 209
L20 7WA
Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 08004148529
Outside UK: +44 151 221 6500
Fax: 0151 2216601
Typetalk: 1800201512216500
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
UK call rates from a mobile phone.

Note: You must send a protestation to the Independent Case Examiner within six (6) months of getting a final response from the agency.

The case examiner may decide to uphold the complaint. If so, they can request the Department for Work and Pensions to re-open the case. But, they will not pay for any legal fees that occur throughout the complaints process.

What if your dissatisfaction is still not resolved or you feel the examiner’s response is unsatisfactory. The next step would be to complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

How to Contact the Independent Complaints Examiner in the United Kingdom