Home Rules Employment Benefits Entitlements Overseas › Illness and Injury Benefit
Claiming Illness and Injury Benefits Abroad

Check the eligibility criteria to claim certain illness and injury benefits abroad. Find out the process for claiming Statutory Sick Pay and Employment Support Allowance overseas.

SSP ABROAD: You might qualify to get SSP overseas if either of these apply to your situation:

  • You are working in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for a UK employer.
  • You are working outside of the EEA and your employer pays your National Insurance contributions.

Note: Discuss the situation with your employer. They will confirm whether there is a way for you to claim Statutory Sick Pay even while you are living overseas.

Going Abroad while on ESA

You might get Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for up to four (4) weeks if you go overseas. Contact the local Jobcentre Plus office before you leave the United Kingdom.

Abroad between 4 weeks and 1 Year

In some cases, you can continue getting contribution-based ESA for up to 26 weeks. But, it would only apply if you go abroad for medical treatment for yourself or for your child.

Note: It applies no matter which country travel to. Even so, you must tell your local Jobcentre Plus if you going overseas for more than four (4) weeks.

Abroad for over a Year

You may also get contribution-based ESA in an EEA country or Switzerland. You must already qualify and have paid enough National Insurance contributions.

Get Help and Advice on ESA
International Pension Centre
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7117

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

Do you get Industrial Injuries Benefit for work-related accidents and illnesses? If so, you can still claim it inside a European Economic Area country.

Get in touch with the office that deals with your benefit if you are in the United Kingdom. Otherwise, contact the International Pension Centre if you are living overseas.

Get Help and Advice on IIDB
International Pension Centre
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7650
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7280
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Information on phone call charges.


Claiming Benefits Abroad: Check the rules for going abroad while on benefits and how to claim.
Countries You Can Claim Benefits: A list of countries that have special arrangements with the UK.
Jobseeker’s Allowance Abroad: See if you qualify for contribution-based JSA overseas payments.
Maternity and Childcare Benefits Abroad: Learn how to get SMP and Maternity Allowance overseas.
Benefits Abroad for Carers: How carers and people with disabilities can get allowances overseas.
Bereavement Benefits Abroad: How moving to, or living in, another country affects these payments.

Rules for Claiming Illness and Injury Benefits Overseas of the United Kingdom