Home Rules Employment Benefits Entitlement Abroad › Maternity and Childcare Benefits
Get Maternity and Childcare Benefits Abroad

Check the eligibility criteria to claim certain maternity and childcare benefits abroad. This section explains how to get Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance overseas.

SMP ABROAD: Do you work in the European Economic Area (EEA) or in Switzerland for a UK employer?

If so, you might qualify to get Statutory Maternity Pay if you meet all the eligibility criteria.

Working in another country outside the EEA means you still may qualify. You could still get SMP if your employer pays your UK National Insurance contributions.

Note: Discuss the situation with your employer to see if there is a way for you to claim SMP while living overseas.

Claim Maternity Allowance Abroad

What if you do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay abroad? Check to see if you are eligible to get the Maternity Allowance overseas instead.

Those who qualify can get Maternity Allowance in an EEA country or in Switzerland. In some cases you can also claim it in these countries outside of the EEA.

  • Barbados
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Israel
  • Channel Islands
  • Kosovo
  • Montenegro
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • Macedonia

Contact your local Jobcentre Plus if you think you may qualify for maternity and childcare benefits abroad. The office will give you further information.

Claiming other Child-related Benefits Overseas

People who meet the eligibility criteria may also get certain other child-related benefits abroad. If you live in an EEA country or Switzerland check to see if you qualify for:


Claiming Benefits Abroad: Check the rules for going abroad while on benefits and how to claim.
Countries You Can Claim Benefits: A list of countries that have special arrangements with the UK.
Jobseeker’s Allowance Abroad: See if you qualify for contribution-based JSA overseas payments.
Illness and Injury Benefits Abroad: Find out how to claim SSP, ESA, and IIDB overseas of the UK.
Benefits Abroad for Carers: How carers and people with disabilities can get allowances overseas.
Bereavement Benefits Abroad: How moving to, or living in, another country affects these payments.

Rules for Claiming Maternity and Childcare Benefits Overseas of the United Kingdom