The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Allowance for Blindness

Blind Person's Allowance 2018/19

The Blind Person Tax Allowance is for those with blindness or severely sighted people. It allows them to earn more money before they start to pay Income Tax.

What is the tax allowance for blindness? This section explains exactly what allowances a blind person will get.

It also covers the application process once you have determined you are eligible to make a claim.

Further information clarifies how to transfer the tax-free blind allowances to your spouse or civil partner.

How Much is Blind Person Tax Allowance?

The extra allowance given to registered blind people is not an actual payment. Instead, the tax benefit gets added to your yearly Personal Allowance. That means you can earn more money before you start paying Income Tax.

The current Blind Person's Allowance 2018/19 is £2,390. The rate increased from the 2017/18 allowance of £2,320.

You and your spouse (or civil partner) will both get the allowance providing both of you qualify for it.

Some blind people do not pay any tax at all. Whereas, others do not earn enough salary to use the entire amount of their allowances. In this case you can transfer the Blind Person's Allowance to your spouse or civil partner.

Note: HM Revenue and Customs publish tax rate tables showing the Blind Persons Tax Allowance for past years.

Blind Person's Allowance Eligibility Criteria

Claiming the Blind Person's Tax Allowance

Contact HM Revenue and Customs to claim.
Telephone: 0300 200 3301
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: 9am to 5pm
Check UK phone call charges.

Note: This particular HMRC helpline closes on bank holidays in the United Kingdom as well as Easter Sunday.

Transferring Blind Person's Tax Allowance

This information explains how to transfer your allowance, or part of it, to your spouse or civil partner. As a rule, you can do this even if they are not actually sight impaired.

You need to use HMRC Form 575 for transferring Blind Person Allowance. This option is for those who do not pay income tax or cannot use all their tax allowances. It is also useful for those who are getting a low income.

Note: You will also get the option to transfer any Married Couple's Allowance.

The Tax Form R40 is for those who are making a claim to get relief on their investment interest and savings. Tick the appropriate box while using form R40 to get yourself a copy of form 575.

Note: You can also contact HM Revenue and Customs to request the form in another format, such as in Braille.

Blind Person's Tax Allowance 2017/18 for Blindness and Sight Impaired