HomeRulesEmploymentTaxation › Dealing with HMRC
Get Help Dealing with HMRC

There are many reasons for dealing with HM Revenue and Customs, besides reporting changes to circumstances. For example, you can contact HMRC service helpdesk to get help with taxation or to make an official complaint.

What is HMRC in the United Kingdom?

HMRC is an abbreviation for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.

The principle responsibility of HM Revenue and Customs is the collection of taxes. They collect duties and taxes from the majority of citizens who reside in the United Kingdom.

The official HMRC address is HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United Kingdom.

You will also need to use the correct departmental title if you post any forms or documents to them. Besides being the UK customs authority, HMRC also collect tax and payments.

The revenue helps to contribute to the public services. It also benefits people who need financial support in this country.

Even so, HM Revenue and Customs must report their spending to Parliament. That particular process is overseen and regulated by the Treasury minister.

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

Contact HMRC

You should contact HMRC helplines and online services helpdesk for all questions and enquiries about tax, self assessment, and PAYE.

HMRC TAXES HELPLINE: (for employers: general enquiries)
Telephone: 0300 200 3200
Textphone: 0300 200 3212
Outside UK: +44 151 268 0558

Telephone: 0300 200 3310
Textphone: 0300 200 3319
Outside UK: +44 161 931 9070

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Appealing to the Tax Tribunal

The guide explains HMRC First Tier Tribunal rules for making an appeal to the tax tribunal. Find out what happens at First-tier tax tribunal hearings and what to do if you lose the case.

Note: You can search for tax tribunal decisions on the GOV.UK for cases heard by the First-tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber).

Appointing a Tax Agent

There may be times when it is best to appoint someone to deal with HMRC for you – or on your behalf. Find out how to appoint a tax agent to represent you.

Enforcement Action

Tax Bills

HM Revenue and Customs will use enforcement action to collect the debt if you do not pay your tax bill. Find out what HMRC can do to recover it and how you can avoid it.

Tax Evasion

You can report tax evasion to HMRC if you think someone is evading taxation. You can also report fraud to the Insolvency Service, Companies House, or the Serious Fraud Office

Get Help with Tax

UK taxation can be a little taxing at times. This guide is for those who need some extra help with tax problems and issues with taxes.

Personal Tax Account

Click through to sign in or set up a personal tax account with HMRC. The ‘Cyfrif treth personol‘ service is also available in Welsh language.

Tax Appeals

There are several steps you can take if you disagree with a tax decision. Check the process of appealing against a tax decision and how to get a review by HMRC.

Undeclared and Unpaid Tax

Check how to tell HMRC about undeclared Income Tax and other taxes (e.g. PAYE, VAT, Corporation Tax, and foreign income) to avoid a prosecution.

How to Deal with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs in United Kingdom