NHS PREPAID PRESCRIPTIONS: As a rule, buying the cheap rate NHS prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) are cost efficient.
The benefits are for people who need regular prescribed medication. So, it may not be the best help for job seekers who buy single prescriptions.
Remember that some people are eligible for free NHS prescriptions. You may not need to pay if you are 60 (or over), on a low income, or have a medical exemption.
So, how do you order a prepaid prescription NHS? One way is to use the National Health Service Business Services Authority contact number.
You can also complete NHS form FP95 for application (also available from large chemists). But, pharmacies will only accept full payment at the till (not a 12-month PPC by Direct Debit).
And the best part:
The new service replaces the need to wait for a plastic card (sent by mail). In most cases, you will be able to use your PPC straight away (e.g. from the start date).
Note: Renewing the NHS prescription charge certificate is quick and easy online. You must reside in England to get a prescription prepayment certificate online. You can only use the NHS PPC certificate to pay for your own prescribed medication.
Prescription Prepayment Certificate Charges
What happens when you get a prescription prepayment card for 3 months or 12 months? They cover all prescribed medicines that you need for that period. So, it applies to all the prescriptions – no matter how many you need.
Currently, the cost of a single prescription is £9.35 per prescribed item in the United Kingdom. In fact, the price of NHS prescriptions went up by twenty (20) pence in April.
The prepaid prescription cost for first application, and any subsequent National Health Service prescription prepayment renewal, is currently:
- £30.25 for three (3) months (single payment by credit card)
- £108.10 for twelve (12) months (single payment by credit card or 10 instalments of £10.81 by Direct Debit)
Here’s an example:
Someone needing four (4) or more prescribed medicines on a monthly basis could save at least £300 a year by buying a 12 month PPC.
Note: It is cheaper to buy the NHS prepayment card if you need to buy two or more prescribed medications per month for any three month period. Similar benefits apply if you need more than 12 yearly prescriptions.
How NHS Prescription Prepayment Works
The NHS no longer sends out plastic cards (to reduce costs and help protect the environment). Instead, you can print them off straight after completing an application or they will send your certificate details by email.
You will have entitlement to free NHS prescriptions if you are:
- Under the age of sixteen (16).
- Aged 16, 17, or 18 and in full time education.
- Aged sixty (60) or older.
There is no need to provide proof of age when claiming free prescriptions providing your date of birth is printed ‘electronically’ on the prescription . Teenagers aged between 16 and 18 may need to show some proof of full time education.
Important: There is no delay waiting for a card before being able to collect prescriptions. Simply show your paper certificate or digital details to prove exemption from NHS prescription charges.
Prescription Prepayment Certificate Application Online
You can buy or make the NHS prescription prepayment card renewal online if it has expired. Further help and support for purchasing is also available by calling the order line.
To make it easier to apply for a 12 month NHS PPC online certificate, or to renew an expired card, you can choose to make ten (10) monthly instalments.
NHS Help with Health Costs
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
Note: NHSBSA will no longer mail the prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) to your address. You will need to show your details in the pharmacy as evidence of prepayment.
NHS Costs for Wigs and Fabric Supports
- Abdominal or spinal support: £45.35
- Full bespoke human hair wig: £287.20
- Partial human hair wig: £196.40
- Stock modacrylic wig: £74.15
- Surgical brassiere (post operative bra): £30.05
The National Health Service produces a list of registered pharmacies that sell PPC certificates. The same facility allows you to check a prescription prepayment certificate for validity and when it will expire.
Note: You may also get a digital maternity exemption certificate if your doctor, midwife, health visitor takes part in the new digital trial.
NHS Prepayment Card Conditions
- The annual PPC certificate starts on the date you complete your application. But you can request a different start date from National Health Service prescription services.
- The start date can be up to one month earlier or later of the application completion date.
- Buying 12-month prescription prepayment certificates online, and using the instalment option, means you are entering into a commitment. Thus, you must pay all the required instalments.
- Using a prescription prepayment card after failing to pay an instalment may result in you having to pay the NHS prescription fine (e.g. a penalty charge).
- What if you become exempt from NHS prescription charges 2022 while you have a valid PPC? In this case, you may be able to claim a refund and get some of the cost returned. Ask the pharmacy staff for an National Health Service refund form (FP57) and information on how to cancel a prepayment prescription.
- You should always keep your details up to date. Contact the NHS if your name or address changes so they can update their records.
- What if you lose or damage your certificate? You should contact the NHS and they would usually send a replacement certificate within ten (10) working days.
Note: The short video [2:43 seconds] explains more about the Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) digital trial.
What is a Social Fund Budgeting Loan?
Budget loans are interest-free welfare crisis benefits for vulnerable claimants on low income. The money can help you cover the cost of much needed essentials at home.
Do You Qualify for £10 Christmas Bonus?
Annual payments go out yearly to most welfare claimants around December. Check to see if you will get your Christmas Bonus benefits this year.
Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA)
The Reduced Earnings Allowance is a weekly payment for qualifying claimants whose income drops due to a work-related disease or accident.
The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme
Two different schemes compensate people diagnosed with the asbestos related disease if exposure took place while living in the United Kingdom.
We hope you found the information you were looking for about the new NHS prescription prepayment certification process. Check the main section on low income and JSA benefit for more help and advice.