The UK Rules
Radically Altered

How to Register a Radically Altered Vehicle

All radically altered vehicles must meet road vehicles regulations if they get driven on the roads. Thus, regulations governing the construction, equipment, and maintenance also apply to vehicles with radical alterations.

REGISTERING ALTERED VEHICLES: There is a set process to register vehicles altered from their original specification (not kit conversions).

That means following instructions and procedures set for new registrations. But, there are several extra documents to add to the application:

Note: We suggest contacting the DVLA if you need further details on what you need to provide. Follow that by sending your radically altered vehicle application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Getting Vehicle Type Approval

DVLA radically altered vehicles do not always qualify to keep their original registration number. In this case you will need to get Vehicle Type Approval for the alterations.

Retaining the Original Vehicle Registration Number

A radically altered vehicle must have at least 8 points to keep the original registration number (see table below). At least 5 of the points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque body shell, or frame.

DVLA 8 Point Rule

DVLA Q Registration Number

The vehicle may not meet all the conditions for keeping the original registration number if any of the following apply:

In this case, DVLA issue a Q prefix registration number for use on the vehicle licence plates. But, all vehicles must pass a relevant type approval test before they get a Q registration.

Important InformationOnce a vehicle has a Certificate of Destruction it must never reappear as a complete vehicle or get presented for registration. Even so, some components may get recycled. But, you cannot keep the original registration or the original vehicle identification number.


Kit-built Vehicles: The correct procedures for vehicle registration of kit-builds at the DVLA.
Kit-Converted Vehicles: The process for vehicle registration of kit-converts at the DVLA.
New and Used Vehicles: Check the process for registering different types of vehicles and fees.
New Registrations: Information on the process to get a vehicle registered yourself at DVLA.
Old and Classic Vehicles: How to register old or classic cars that have not been taxed since 1983.
Rebuilds: Check out how to register a rebuilt vehicle in the United Kingdom.
Reconstructed Classic Vehicles: Follow these steps to register a reconstructed classic vehicle.
Vehicle Identification Numbers: What is a VIN and why do DVLA sometimes issue 'Q' registration?

DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom