How to Register a Rebuilt Vehicle

All rebuilds must meet road vehicles regulations if they get driven on the roads. Thus, regulations governing the construction, equipment, and maintenance also apply to rebuilt vehicles.

REGISTERING REBUILDS: There is only one process to register a rebuilt vehicle in the United Kingdom.

That means following instructions and procedures set for new registrations. But, there are several extra documents to add to the application:

  • DVLA ‘Built up vehicle inspection report‘ using form V627/1.
  • Official purchase receipts for any vehicle parts used in the rebuild.
  • The vehicle registration certificate for the original vehicle.
  • Documentary evidence of vehicle type approval (where necessary).
  • Current photographs of the rebuilt vehicle.

Note: We recommend contacting the DVLA if you need further details on what you need to provide. Follow that by sending your rebuilt vehicle application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Getting Vehicle Type Approval

Rebuilt vehicles do not always qualify to keep their original registration number. In this case you will need to get Vehicle Type Approval for the rebuild.

Retaining the Original Vehicle Registration Number

In some cases you can register a rebuilt vehicle and keep its original registration number. But, you would have to prove that you used:

  • The same original unmodified chassis or its body shell. You can also use a new chassis or a monocoque body shell if it is the same specification as the original. This applies to cars and light vans.
  • The same original unmodified frame. You can also use a new frame if it is the same specification as the original. This applies to motorbikes.

Two other major components must also get used in the rebuild from the original vehicle. The components can be:

  • Cars and Light Vans:
    • Axles (both)
    • Engine
    • Suspension (front and back)
    • Steering assembly
    • Transmission
  • Motorbikes:
    • Engine
    • Forks
    • Gear box
    • Wheels

DVLA Q Registration Number

The vehicle may not meet all the conditions for keeping the original registration number. In this case, DVLA issue Q plate registration for use on the vehicle licence plates. But, all vehicles must pass a relevant type approval test before they get a Q registration.

Note: Once a vehicle has a Certificate of Destruction it must never reappear as a complete vehicle or get presented for registration. Even so, some components may get recycled. But, you cannot keep the original registration or the original vehicle identification number.


Kit-Built Vehicles: The process for registering kit-builds and kit-converted vehicle registration.
Kit-Converted Vehicles: The process for vehicle registration of kit-converts at the DVLA.
New and Used Vehicles: Check the process for registering different types of vehicles and fees.
New Registrations: Information on the process to get a vehicle registered yourself at DVLA.
Old and Classic Vehicles: How to register old or classic cars that have not been taxed since 1983.
Radically Altered Vehicles: The process to register vehicles altered from their original specification.
Reconstructed Classics: Follow these steps to register a reconstructed classic vehicle.
Vehicle Identification Numbers: What is a VIN and why do DVLA issue ‘Q’ registration plates?

DVLA Rebuilt Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom