How to Register Kit-Converted Vehicles

All kit-converts must meet road vehicles regulations if they get driven on the roads. Thus, regulations governing the construction, equipment, and maintenance also apply to kit-converted vehicles.

KIT-CONVERTED VEHICLES: There are differences between kit-converts and kit-built vehicles.

As a general rule a kit-converted vehicle will have:

  • An assembly kit of new parts added to an existing vehicle.
  • Some old parts added to the new conversion kit.
  • A different appearance because of the kit or kits.

You must follow the instructions and procedures set for new registrations. But, there are several extra documents to add to the application:

  • DVLA ‘Built up vehicle inspection report‘ using form V627/1.
  • The vehicle registration certificate for the original vehicle.
  • Official purchase receipts for any vehicle parts used.
  • Documentary evidence of vehicle type approval (where necessary).
  • Build plans and current photographs of the kit-converted vehicle.

Note: We recommend contacting the DVLA if you need further details on what you need to provide. Follow that by sending your kit-converted vehicle application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Retaining the Original Vehicle Registration Number

In some cases you can register a kit-converted vehicle and keep its original registration number. But, you would have to prove that you used 2 original parts along with:

  • The same original unmodified chassis or its body shell. You can also use a new chassis or a monocoque body shell if it is the same specification as the original. This applies to cars and light vans.
  • The same original unmodified frame. You can also use a new frame if it is the same specification as the original. This applies to motorbikes.
Getting Vehicle Type Approval

The Road Vehicle Approval Regulations came into force in 2009 for the United Kingdom. Having Vehicle Type Approval confirms its production samples meet or exceed specified performance standards.

Getting an Age-related Registration Number

You can also apply for an age-related number by proving you used 2 original major parts as well as:

  • A new monocoque body shell, chassis, or frame from a specialist manufacturer of kit vehicles.
  • An altered chassis, monocoque body shell, or frame from the original vehicle.

The registration number gets based on the age of the original vehicle. The vehicle must pass a relevant type approval test to get an age-related registration number.

DVLA Q Registration Number

The vehicle may not meet all the conditions for keeping the original registration number. In this case, DVLA issue Q registration numbers to use on the vehicle licence plates. But, all vehicles must pass a relevant type approval test before they get a Q registration.

Note: Once a vehicle has a Certificate of Destruction it must never reappear as a complete vehicle or get presented for registration. Even so, some components may get recycled. But, you cannot keep the original registration or the original vehicle identification number.


Kit-built Vehicles: The correct procedures for vehicle registration of kit-builds at the DVLA.
New and Used Vehicles: Check the process for registering different types of vehicles and fees.
New Registrations: Information on the process to get a vehicle registered yourself at DVLA.
Old and Classic Vehicles: How to register old or classic cars that have not been taxed since 1983.
Radically Altered Vehicles: The process to register vehicles altered from their original specification.
Rebuilds: Check out how to register a rebuilt vehicle in the United Kingdom.
Reconstructed Classic Vehicles: Follow these steps to register a reconstructed classic vehicle.
VIN and Q Registration: What is a VIN and why do DVLA sometimes issue ‘Q’ registration plates?

DVLA Kit-Converted Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom