HomeUK RulesDrivingLicences › Pay DVLA Fine

How to Pay a DVLA Fine UK

You can pay a DVLA fine online, by telephone, or by post. The digital service allows you to pay fines for untaxed vehicles or for non declaration of a SORN.

Information in this help guide also explains how to appeal a DVLA fine. Review the typical grounds for appealing DVLA car fines and when you cannot make a formal challenge.

Using ‘Pay a DVLA Penalty’ Online Service

The digital facility links up with other GOV.UK departments. So, you can use the Pay a DVLA Penalty service to:

  • Pay a fine for failing to insure a vehicle.
  • Pay a fine for not taxing a vehicle or for failing to declare a SORN (e.g. it has been taken off the road).
  • Settle a bill to clear any outstanding road tax (check if a vehicle is taxed).

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency issues fines to vehicle keepers if they catch them using an untaxed or an uninsured vehicle on a public road. Most of these types of DVLA fines are now payable online.

Check your DVLA penalty letter to find out how much to pay and how long you get to pay it. As a rule, you must pay a DVLA fine within 17, 21, or 28 days (depending on the type of penalty notice you received).

You may be wondering:

Can I pay a DVLA fine in installments, such as by Direct Debit payments? And what is going to happen if not?

The DVLA External Communications Team provides the definitive answer to this question. In fact, they ‘DO NOT’ accept this type of payment in installments. Always contact the DVLA if you cannot pay a car fine because any enforcement action would continue.

This part is important:

Failing to pay a fine before the deadline can result in ‘cartaxenforcement‘ (e.g. by the National Wheelclamping Contractor). You can get your car clamped, crushed, or they can pass your details to a debt collection agency.

To pay vehicle related fines online you will need:

  • An accepted payment method for paying a DVLA fee (e.g. a credit or debit card).
  • Penalty reference number shown on the letter you received from the DVLA (e.g. 12009866).
  • Vehicle registration ‘number plate’ as shown on the penalty notice (e.g. AB12 CDE).

Note: Information about paying DVLA fines and penalties is also available in Welsh language ‘Talu dirwy DVLA‘ Cymraeg. Use a different process if you need to pay a DVSA roadside fine (e.g. a fixed penalty).

Other Ways to Pay Car Fines

By Telephone

Telephone: 0300 790 6808
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
List of UK call charges.

Postal Methods

You can send a cheque or a postal order by post to settle the charge. If so, you should make it payable to ‘DVLA’ and write the vehicle registration number of the reverse side.

DVLA Enforcement Centre
D12 Longview Road
SA99 1AH

Note: After paying the fine, you must insure and tax the vehicle, register a vehicle as off the road (e.g. make a SORN), or notify the DVLA that you no longer have the car.

How to Appeal a DVLA Fine

There is a chance that you can get out of paying a DVLA fine, such as the one you received for:

  • Failing to inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency that you no longer have the vehicle.
  • Not getting road tax or not insuring it (read more on how vehicle insurance law works in the United Kingdom).

Grounds for making an Appeal

You would be able to make an appeal to DVLA providing you have some evidence or proof that:

  • You did tax the vehicle or you do have insurance for it.
  • You already informed DVLA that you are no longer the keeper of the vehicle.

Important: The proof must have a date stamped on it before the offence occurred (e.g. an acknowledgement letter issued by DVLA).

You cannot appeal if:

  • You changed your address and failed to notify the DVLA.
  • You lost the relevant paperwork or you did not receive a reminder about it.
  • You ‘forgot’ to tax, insure, or register the vehicle as off the road (or you were away at the time).
  • You missed one of the Direct Debit payments because of a problem with the bank that issues them.

Unless you have a valid reason for appealing you must pay a fine without delay. You can make online payments for fines relating to vehicle tax and SORN. But, all other types of vehicle fines must be paid by phone or by post. Check the penalty letter for further information.

The letter sent to you by the DVLA will state that you have been fined and how long you have to lodge an appeal.

You can also appeal in writing to DVLA if you lose the letter (remember to include the vehicle registration number):

DVLA Enforcement Centre
SA99 1AH

Note: The DVLA would contact you after receiving the appeal letter. They would then provide you with further information on what happens next.

Driving Fines and Letters

You should follow a different process if you get a fine or a letter about a vehicle that you no longer own. The first step is to send the fine letter back to the same organisation that sent it to you.

Let them know that you do not own the vehicle and remember to keep copies of any correspondence you send.

If You Previously Owned the Vehicle

If you used to be the owner, the DVLA would have sent a confirmation letter (when you sold it) that you are no longer the registered keeper. Send a copy of this letter to the organisation that sent you the fine.

What if you no longer have the letter that DVLA sent to you? You should write to the DVLA and ask them for proof that you are not the registered keeper. The letter should include:

  • The make and model of the vehicle and the registration number.
  • The exact date of the sale (or transfer).
  • The name and address of the person that you sold or transferred it to.

SA99 1ZZ

Fax:01792 783 083

Note: You should allow up to four (4) weeks to receive a replacement letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

If You Never Owned the Vehicle

The process changes if you never were the registered keeper (at any time). If not, you should write to the DVLA and ask them for proof. Try to provide as much information as possible about the vehicle.

Note: Allow up to four (4) weeks for the DVLA to update their records and then send you a replacement letter.

Related Content

Another section lists the legal obligations of drivers and riders before driving a car or riding a motorcycle (e.g. getting a driving licence and registering the vehicle).

You must change your address on your vehicle log book (V5C) so that the DVLA has accurate and current information about the vehicles you own.

How to Pay DVLA Fine Online in the United kingdom