Home Rules Employment Benefits Household Energy › Affordable Warmth
Affordable Warmth Obligation Scheme

You might qualify for help from your energy supplier through the Affordable Warmth Obligation scheme. Check the eligibility criteria and how to apply.

AFFORDABLE WARMTH: You can only get financial help towards any of the energy-saving improvements to your home if either:

  • You are claiming benefits that qualify and you live in private housing. An example would be owning your home or renting from a private landlord.
  • You are living in social housing.

But, if you qualify the scheme can help with the cost of:

  • Home insulation work (e.g. to the loft or with cavity walls).
  • Repairing or replacing the boiler (or upgrades to the heating system).

Claiming Benefits and Living in Private Housing

To meet the Affordable Warmth Obligation eligibility criteria you must live in private housing and get one of these benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit (Pension Savings Credit does not qualify)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

The total amount of your income will determine whether you qualify for Affordable Warmth if you are claiming:

Note: You must get the permission of the homeowner to do the work if you are renting from a private landlord.

A Tenant in Social Housing

Do you live in social housing and does it have an energy efficiency rating of E, F, or G? If so, you might get help with insulation or installing a heating system for the first time.

Note: There are several ways to find out the energy efficiency rating of a property. You can either:

Checking Eligibility: Apply for Affordable Warmth

The Energy Saving Advice Service will confirm whether you qualify for help with energy-saving improvements. They will then explain how to apply once you contact them.

Energy Saving Advice Service
Telephone: 0300 123 1234
Monday to Friday: 9am to 8pm
UK telephone call rates.

Making a Complaint on Home Improvements

The first step should be contacting the company who carried out the work if you want to complain. You can also contact Citizens Advice if the company fails to solve the problem.

The Affordable Warmth Obligation Scheme in the United Kingdom