HomeUK LawLifestyle Living Abroad › Traveling with Cash
Taking Cash In and Out of the UK

HMRC confirmed the new rules for making cash declarations when travelling with notes in and out of the United Kingdom. Check what you must do if you will be carrying large amounts of cash when entering or leaving Great Britain to (or from) another country.

Carrying Cash Into and Out of Great Britain

You need to declare cash or currency equivalents of £10,000 or more any time you carry it into or out of Great Britain.

If you prefer to use the online declaration form you would need to complete it within 72 hours of the time you will travel.

You can also get a paper form BOR 9011 at any port or airport with a Red Channel if you are unable to use the online service.

Note: If you will be travelling through a port without Border Force Officers you can make a cash declaration over the telephone.

Customer Service Group
Telephone: 0300 322 9434
Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Charges to 0300 numbers

Travelling Into and Out of Northern Ireland

If you want to take €10,000 (or more) from Northern Ireland to any country outside of the European Union (EU) you will need to declare it.

You can use the online declaration form to declare a large amount of hard cash taken between Northern Ireland and a non-EU country (up to 72 hours in advance).

But, a cash declaration is not a legal requirement when you are carrying it between Northern Ireland and any of the EU countries.

Moving Cash from Great Britain to Northern Ireland

You need to declare the cash you are carrying if it is £10,000 or more (or euro equivalent) when travelling from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

But, you can take any amount of money, without having to make a declaration at any port or airport, when you travel from Northern Ireland to Great Britain.

Note: The main section contains a help guide for British nationals living overseas and support available outside of the United Kingdom.

Different Types of Cash You Must Declare

The types of legal tender that you need to declare when travelling into and out of the United Kingdom, include:

  • Bank notes and coinage
  • Bankers’ drafts
  • Cheques and travellers’ when signed but not made out to a person or an organisation
  • Travellers’ cheques

Penalty for Not Declaring Cash at Customs

The maximum penalty for not declaring cash (or for giving incorrect information) when leaving or entering the United Kingdom is £5,000.

Furthermore, customs officers can seize declared cash if they have ‘reasonable’ grounds for suspecting any type of crime is taking place.

They would be able to keep seized cash for a period of up to forty eight (48) hours before needing to get a court order.

Important: Often, people take cash in and out of the United Kingdom while travelling as a family or in a group. If so, you must declare total cash amounts of £10,000 or €10,000 even if some of the individuals will be carrying less than the permitted limits.

How to Appeal a Customs Penalty Notice

If you received a cash declaration penalty, and disagree with it, you can write a letter to the Fraud Investigation Service.

The letter must state why you disagree with the decision given by customs officers. The time limit for appealing is thirty (30) from the date of the penalty notice.

Fraud Investigation Service
FIS POC Operations – Cash Declaration Penalty Team
NE98 1ZZ

Related Advice and Help Guides

Note: This short video presented by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) explains the circumstances when you may need to declare cash when travelling into, and out of, the United Kingdom.

HMRC Rules for Taking Cash In and Out of United Kingdom