HomeUK RulesLifestyle Education and Learning › Student Finance
Student Finance Help for Students

This student finance guide is for those who are already studying or those who plan on going to University in the United Kingdom. You can find helpful advice and current information about Higher Education and how to get help while you study.

HELP FOR STUDENTS: This page lists the options for students to get finance and support.

The topics include student loans, bursaries, and government grants for scholars.

Those who are on a scholarship and eligible for student finance can learn how to pay back the loans.

The aim of this section is to provide information and guidance on all the financial help and support available to higher education students.

Student Finance Resources

Adult Dependants’ Grant

Get information on the Adult Dependants’ Grant for students in higher education. The bursary is for full-time students with an adult who depends on them for financial support.

Advanced Learner Loans

SFE administers the Advanced Learner Loan for students aged 19 and older. Find out how the funding for advanced learner loans works and how to apply.

Bursaries for Students

16 to 19 Bursary

The 16 to 19 Bursary Fund can help students pay for books, clothing, and for transport and lunch on days that they are studying or training.

NHS Bursary

There are several types of bursary schemes available as funding for medical students. Check how to apply for NHS bursaries and grants for medicine, dentistry, and healthcare courses.

Social Work Bursary

Are you studying an approved undergraduate or postgraduate social work course? If so, you may find the social work bursaries guide a helpful resource.

Note: As part of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Student Loans Company (SLC) have issued updated guidance for applicants, current students, and those who are repaying student loans.

Childcare Support Grant

Student parents who are in full-time higher education may be eligible for extra financial help to cover your childcare and some course-related costs.

Note: The Childcare Grant is a weekly payment helping parents who are studying and have dependent children.

Dance and Drama Awards

The Dance and Drama Awards (or DaDA) is a type of performing arts funding for students. Find out how much you might get from Dance and Drama Awards funding in the United Kingdom.

Disabled Students Allowance

Some higher education students can get extra money through Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). This guide explains how to apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance using the DSA1 form.

Extra Money to Pay for University

Awards, bursaries, and scholarships are like grants. Find out how higher education students might qualify to get extra money to pay for university or fund their college term.

Postgraduate Funding

There are several different ways to get funding for postgraduate study in the United Kingdom, such as bursaries, grants, loans, and studentships.

Master’s Loan

Are you starting a master’s degree in the next academic year? If so, a Postgraduate Master’s Loan can help fund your tuition fees and living expenses.

Note: The UK government also offers postgraduate scholarships for international students to help cover tuition fees and living expenses.

Doctoral Loans

Are you starting a Doctoral course in the next academic year? If so, you may qualify for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan to help finance your course and living costs.

Student Finance England (SFE)

How to Contact SFE

Are you thinking about studying in the United Kingdom? Are you already a student here? Find out how to contact Student Finance England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

How to Apply Online

The way you apply for a student loan in the United Kingdom depends on your nationality and whether you are a new student (e.g. not studied before).

Travel Grants (England)

The section explains how to apply for travel grants for students, the eligibility criteria, and which travel expenses forms you need to use.

Note: You can create a student finance login account through the GOV.UK website to get your unique customer reference number (CRN).

Repayments and Refunds

Check when you need to start repaying your student loan, how much your monthly repayments will be, and how to get a refund.

Note: You can download Student Finance England application forms (e.g. form PN1, PR1, PTG1, PFF2, and CYI) along with the associated guidance notes from the GOV.UK website.

Supporting an Application

The help guide explains the process of confirming household income to support your child or partner’s student finance application (e.g. for loans or grants).

Taking a Break or Dropping Out

Information in the help guide explains what happens with student finance if you suspend or leave your course (e.g. due to an illness or pregnancy).

Loans and Grants

The section explains the undergraduate student finance application process. Check how to get a student loan or grant while you study in the United Kingdom.

Student Finance Help for Students Studying in England