HomeRulesYour Legal Rights › Types of Crime Reporting of Suspected Crimes
Types of Crimes: How to Report Crime

There are many different types of crime and illegal activities in the United Kingdom. Even though people react to crime in different ways you need to know how to report crimes and get support. You can report a crime or any antisocial behaviour by phoning the police force. You can also call CrimeStoppers if you prefer to remain anonymous.

Reporting Suspercted Crimes: You should report minor and major crimes to the police.

Often, the police deal with the offenders of a minor crime by handing out:

Victims of minor incidents sometimes agree to accepting an apology. Even so, the police force can go ahead and charge someone after committing a minor crime.

The most violent crimes include murder, manslaughter, terrorism, rape, and sexual assault. Illegal criminality such as arson, burglary, and robbery are also commonplace in Britain.

Common Types of Crime Reporting in the UK

Fraud and cyber crime have now become the most common offences committed in the United Kingdom. The latest figures show that almost one in ten people (10%) fall victim to online fraud and cyber crime.

Authorities say over five million cyber offences take place each year in the country. That accounts for almost half of all the crime committed in the United Kingdom.

But, only a small fraction of these types of criminal offences get reported. Often, the victims feel too embarrassed to report crime to the police. They also feel that catching those responsible would be an unlikely outcome.

Reporting Crime or Antisocial Behaviour

Contact your local neighbourhood policing team to report activities of antisocial behaviour. There is a different process to report noise or antisocial behaviour in Scotland.

Telephone: 0800 555 111
Check the cost of making the call.

Important Information Make a free call to the police on 999 if a crime is in progress or for any emergency situation.

After a Crime gets Reported

Reporting suspected crimes to the police is the first step in catching offenders. The police will then decide whether they can investigate the case. Even so, some investigations may take a long time to complete and some criminal cases never get solved.

Dealing with Crime and Illegal Activities

Childhood Abuse

There are several ways to report child abuse in United Kingdom. The number to call depends on whether the child is in immediate danger, being abused, or neglected.

Has your child run away or has someone you know gone missing? Use the help guide to report a missing person to the police and find them as quickly as possible.

Children in Trouble with the Law

The section explains what happens with young people and the law in the United Kingdom. Check the legal rights of minors and how the justice system handles young people detained in custody.

Domestic Violence

Domestic Abuse

The local neighbourhood policing team deal with non emergency cases. But, call the police on 999 if you are in immediate danger of abuse or violent crime.

Elder Abuse

Neglect, threats, and the physical abuse of an older person can be difficult to identify. But, if you spot the warning signs you can get help by reporting elder abuse to the council or the police.

Female Genital Mutilation Law (FGM)

The United Kingdom introduced its most recent female genital mutilations law in 1985. Find out how and where FGM victims, or those in danger, can get help and support.

There are ways to protect yourself from FGM or help someone you know. Find out how to get a female genital mutilation protection order in the United Kingdom.

Forced Marriage

Help and support is available for victims of a forced marriage in the United Kingdom. Find out what steps you can take if you are being forced into getting married and how to leave a forced marriage.

You can get a forced marriage protection order to protect the victims of domestic violence. Find out what documents to use and how to get an emergency order.

Injunction Order

Getting a court injunction is a way for a victim to deal with aggressive behavior in the home. Find out how the victim can make an application for an injunction for domestic violence in the UK.

Report a Loan Shark

A page explaining some issues of dealing with loan sharks. The best advice is to avoid them and learn how to report an illegal loan shark if you spot one.

Report a Stolen Vehicle

Find out what to do if your vehicle gets stolen. After reporting a stolen vehicle to the police and the insurer you may also need to inform the DVLA.

Sexual Violence

Report a Rape

Sexual violence is a crime in the United Kingdom. But, very few of the victims choose to report a rape or sexual assault to the police or a SARC.

Report Human Trafficking

You can contact the Home Office to report people smuggling in to the United Kingdom. The same process applies to someone smuggling goods or cash into the country ‘illegally’.

Report a Stalker

All types of stalking are illegal in the United Kingdom. You can get help from many support organisations including the ‘National Stalking Helpline‘ and ‘Protection Against Stalking’.

Upskirting Law

It has now become illegal to take a picture up someone’s skirt in England and Wales. The section explains the new upskirting law and punishment for perpetrators of this intrusive practice.

Victim Rights after a Crime

Community Payback

You can nominate a Community Payback project in your local area. The guide explains who to contact and how the nomination process works.

Financial Help

There are several ways of getting financial support as a victim of violent crime. Find out what you might get and how to apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Report a Hate Crime

The police have a dedicated website for reporting a hate crime online. Typical cases of hate crimes include assault, damage to property, robbery, and threatening behaviour.


Victims of crime can ask for someone detained through mental illness to obey conditions on their release. Learn how to make a victim representation to the Mental Health Tribunal.

Victims Abroad

You can expect a visit to a country overseas to be free of trouble. Even so, it is important to know how to get help if you are the victim of crime abroad of the UK.

Victim Rights

Your rights continue throughout the police investigation. Learn the victim rights after a crime, the right to privacy, and how to make a personal statement.

Victim Statement

Find out how to make a victim statement to the Parole Board and who can present a VPS. Learn how to write the submission and what happens when it gets read at the parole hearing.

Victim Support

You can get support as a victim of crime with quick and easy access to free advice. The guide also explains how to take part in a restorative justice scheme.

Note: The law does not require you to wait to be attacked before using reasonable force against intruders and defending yourself in your home.

Types of Crimes and How to Report Crime in United Kingdom