Home Rules Legal Reporting Crimes › Report Child Abuse
Reporting Child Abuse Online

There are several ways to report child abuse in the United Kingdom. The number to call depends on whether the child is in immediate danger, being abused, or neglected.

CHILD ABUSE: There are certain things you can look out for that will help a child at risk.

As adults, we all have an important role to play in protecting children. We must protect young people from childhood abuse and neglect.

Some people will hesitate to act and report child abuse. They feel worried or concerned about being wrong when reporting a suspected crime.

But, there is no legal requirement to be ‘absolutely’ certain. Anyone with real concerns that a child is being abused (or their safety is at risk) should speak to someone about it.

There are some simple steps to follow to keep children safe. You can report any concerns you have about child safety to your local council. It could provide a missing piece of information that makes all the difference.

‘Child Abuse: If You Think It, Report It!’

How to Report Child Abuse

Are you worried that a child or a young person is at risk or is being abused? If so, go ahead go ahead and report child abuse to your local council. Their children’s social care department are experts at dealing with child care issues.

Note: The council will ask you to provide your contact details. But, you can choose whether to give them or not.

Phone 999 if the child is in immediate risk. Call the police on 101 if you think someone committed a crime.

What You Should Report

There are several different kinds of child abuse. It can be physical, emotional, sexual abuse, or neglect. You can read further guidance on how to spot the signs of child abuse on the NSPCC website.

Remember, you do not need to be 100% sure that a child or a young person got abused or neglected. After all, reporting a suspicion is better than ignoring the issue altogether.

After Reporting Childhood Abuse

How to Report Child Abuse in the United KingdomThe person answering the call decides what steps to take. As a rule, they will either:

  • Pursue the matter and gather more information.
  • Pass the case to a social worker so they can look into it.
  • Contact the police. This is their standard response if they feel the child is at immediate risk or a crime got committed.

Note: The children’s social care team will usually tell you what will happen next. But, they are unable to give out any confidential information.

Expert Help and Advice about Child Abuse

You can also contact the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC). They will be happy to discuss your concerns and give out expert advice.

The NSPCC PANTS rule teaches children not to touch others in any areas usually covered by underwear. In fact, the underpants rule reveals the impropriety of touching kids around their private parts.

NSPCC (for adults to call)

Telephone: 0808 800 5000
Check phone call charges.

ChildLine (for children and young people to call free)
Telephone: 0800 1111

Note: The ChildLine number will not show on a phone bill if you call from a landline or most mobile networks.

How to Report Child Abuse in the United Kingdom