Home Rules Legal Courts Deputies › End a Deputyship
How to End Your Deputyship

As a general rule, there needs to be a valid reason for someone to end a deputyship. Check which forms you need to use and what to do if the person you are acting as deputy for dies.

So, what if you no longer want (or need) to be someone’s deputy? You will need to:

Court of Protection
PO Box 70185
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn
London WC1A 9JA

The process of ending a deputyship differs if the person recovers their mental capacity. In this case, you would need to download and fill in Form COP 9 instead.

Send Form COP9 to the Court of Protection along with any supporting evidence (e.g. a letter from their doctor).

Note: Your responsibilities continue, and you cannot stop being a deputy, until you receive the relevant court order.

Rules for a Deputy if the Person Dies

If the person you are a deputy for dies you must contact the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG). You must also contact the Court of Protection and tell them both that the person has died.

Office of the Public Guardian
Telephone: 0300 456 0300
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am to 5pm
Wednesday: 10am to 5pm

Court of Protection
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0300 456 4600
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Check a list of phone call rates.

The OPG will need some evidence that the person has died (e.g. a death certificate). You can also check the full list of notifications that the OPG will accept as evidence.

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
B2 2WH

As a rule, if you paid a security bond it will remain in force for seven (7) years even after the person’s death. An exception would apply if you get a court order that cancels it.

Note: The person you were deputy for may have had a CFO account. If so, you should contact the Court Funds Office if the person dies. The OPG publishes extra advice to help court-appointed deputies look after adults at risk.


Responsibilities for a Deputy | UK courts place certain restrictions on who it will appoint as deputies.

Changing a Deputyship | Check the process on how to change deputyship or make a one-off decision.

Ending Your Deputyship: Informing the Court of Protection