Home Rules Legal Courts Deputies › Changing Your Deputyship
How to Change Your Deputyship

You must follow the set process to change your deputyship or make a one-off decision. Find out how to apply to the court and what happens afterward.

You can use the same procedures to change deputyship or make a one-off decision. You must apply to the Court of Protection if:

  • You need to renew your deputyship.
  • You have to change your deputyship (e.g. make decisions outside the original order).
  • You need to make a one off decision on something not covered by the court order.

To apply, you need to download an application form as well as a witness statement. The two forms that you must use are:

  • Form COP1: Apply to make decisions on someone’s behalf.
  • Form COP24: Give a witness statement about a person who lacks capacity.

When you give a witness statement about a person who lacks mental capacity it should include:

  • The person’s total annual income including any pensions that they may have.
  • The value of the security bond (when you are appointed) set by the court.
  • The annual cost for their nursing care and any other regular items considered as major expenditure.
  • A description of the circumstances behind your need to make an application for the changes.
  • A summary of their assets (e.g. bank balances, investments, shares, and savings) including the details of any property they own.

You will need to send the following items to the Court of Protection to complete the application process:

  • Both of the completed forms (COP1 and COP24).
  • A cheque made payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service for the deputy application fee.

Court of Protection
PO Box 70185
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

Court of Protection
Telephone: 0300 456 4600
Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Find out more on call rates.

Note: Use Form EX160 to apply for help with court fees. You may get a reduction or you may not have to pay a fee at all. You can also get help with changing a deputyship from the Court of Protection.

After You Change Your Deputyship

When you change the court order, it may inform you to notify other people with an interest about the changes. Others may not agree with the change. If not, they can either object to them or ask the court to reconsider the proposed changes.

Other interested parties can ask the court to reconsider (either):

  • Before the Court of Protection issues the changed court order.
  • Up to a maximum of 21 days after the court order has been issued.


Annual Report for Deputies | How to write a report each year explaining the decisions you made.

Ending a Deputyship | Check the process if you no longer want (or need) to be someone’s deputy.

Changing Deputyship or Making a One Off Decision Outside a Court Order