Home UK Rules Legal British Citizenship › Declaration of Renunciation
How to Give Up British Citizenship

There are several reasons why you might apply to give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality. The most common reason is to become a citizen of another country that does not permit dual citizenship.

Information in this section explains how to renounce British citizenship or status (nationality) online or by post. A successful application would result in a 'declaration of renunciation'.

Since a rules change in 1983 there are now six types of British nationality.

A ‘declaration of renunciation’ is a document used to show that a person is no longer a British citizen.

You can apply to renounce your (including more than one at a time):

  • British citizenship
  • British overseas territories citizenship
  • British overseas citizenship
  • British subject status
  • British national (overseas) status

Note: Renouncing (giving up) citizenship or status does not affect other family members. But, it may affect the status of any children that you have after renunciation.

Conditions for Renouncing British Citizenship

To give up (renounce) British citizenship or nationality you need to be:

  • At least eighteen (18) years old (exceptions apply for applicants under 18 who are married)
  • Of sound mind (exceptions can apply if the decision would be in the best interest of the applicant)

In most cases, legislation in the United Kingdom does not allow a citizen to become ‘stateless’. Thus, you would only be able to give up your British citizenship or nationality if you (either):

  • Already hold some other citizenship or nationality.
  • Will hold another citizenship or nationality as part of the process of renouncing your British citizenship.

Note: Giving up (renouncing) British citizenship will affect your legal right to live in the United Kingdom.

Apply to Give Up Citizenship

You can choose to apply online or make an application by postal methods. If you not have access to a computer (or not confident using one) you can get help by telephone or by email to complete the online form.

Help Completing the Online Form
Email: [email protected]
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944
Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Details of phone call charges.

Making Postal Applications

Use Form NR to apply by post to give up your British citizenship or another type of British nationality. Complete BOTH sections and get it countersigned by someone who knows you ‘personally’ and is over 18 years old.

Unless one is for British overseas territories citizenship (BOTC) you will be able to use form NR to give up several kinds of British nationality. Thus, you would need to complete two separate forms if one is for the renunciation of BOTC.

Send the completed application form, the correct fee, and any relevant supporting documents to:

Department 1
The Capital
New Hall Place
L3 9PP

Note: Send your application to the Lieutenant Governor address for the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Use the Governor of the territory address for British overseas territories.

Supporting Documentation

The supporting documents will include your passport (used to prove your current citizenship status). Send your birth certificate or certificate of registration or naturalisation instead if you do not have a passport.

You may hold citizenship or status through descent from your parent or grandparent. If so, you would also need to send documents that prove their citizenship or status and your relationship to them.

Evidence of Future Status

To prove your future status you will need to send evidence that shows you (either):

  • Have another citizenship or nationality (or will have after making a declaration to give up your British status). An example can be a passport for the other country or an official statement from that country naming you as a national.
  • Will soon become a citizen of another country. As a rule, it should be an official letter from the country stating you will be granted citizenship there after you have renounced British citizenship or nationality.

Evidence of Marriage (for under 18s)

Applicants who are under eighteen years old, and have been married, should send a marriage certificate as further evidence.

Cost and Payment Methods

UKVI produce current information about the fees for citizenship applications and payment slip. They will accept a payment made by a credit card or debit card or by cheque.

After Making a Successful Application

You will receive a ‘declaration of renunciation’ if they approve your application. The process ends with an official sign and stamp placed on the original application form.

The form shows the date that your citizenship or status will stop. You will get any supporting documents returned to you even if the application is not successful.

Time Limits to Get Another Citizenship

You must get another citizenship within six (6) months of receiving a ‘declaration of renunciation’. The declaration will no longer be valid if not. In this case, you would retain British citizenship or status.

How to Resume British Nationality

It is possible to resume British nationality after renouncing it. Use Form RS1 to apply to become a British citizen again after giving up (renouncing) citizenship. You can apply online or by post.

Note: You would need to pay the current fee to complete the registration (see above). But, they will not refund the fee if they decide to refuse your application.

Supporting Documentation

The supporting documents that you would need to provide include:

  • A copy of the declaration of renunciation (either form RN1 or R6).
  • Your passport (or certificate of naturalisation or registration for current citizenship or nationality).
  • An official letter or statement from the country where you are currently a citizen or a national. It should state that you would have lost or failed to get current citizenship or nationality if you had not given up your British citizenship.

Giving up United Kingdom and Colonies citizenship means you would also need to provide:

  • The birth, naturalisation, or registration certificate of the person you have connection to in the United Kingdom. You would also need to provide some evidence of the relationship to that person (e.g. a birth, marriage, or civil partnership certificate).
  • Evidence that shows you gave up citizenship because you believed you would be deprived of your citizenship of a Commonwealth country unless you did so. It should be a separate letter that explain this information along with any supporting documentation.

Providing Biometric Information

You would need to provide biometric information (i.e. fingerprints and an identification photograph). There is a small charge for this service.

You will receive notification from the Home Office when it is time to provide the biometrics. They will hold your biometric information until after you attend a British citizenship ceremony.

Note: Giving up citizenship for a reason other than losing or failing to get citizenship of another country means you may need to provide different documents.

Giving Up (renouncing) British Citizenship or Nationality Explained