Home Rules Employment Benefits Housing Benefit › How to Claim
How to Claim Housing Benefit

There are several different ways to claim Housing Benefit payments. The method to use will depend on whether you are making a new claim for other benefits at the same or not.

CLAIMING HOUSING BENEFIT: You will have to provide some evidence to support a claim.

Note: You can check if you are eligible for Housing Benefit before you make an application.

In some cases, you may need to make a claim for Universal Credit as an alternative.

Applying for Housing Benefit Only

If it is a new claim for Housing Benefit ‘only’ you should apply through your local council. Use the same process for any new claims even if you already receive other benefits.

Applying for other Benefits at the Same Time

A claim for Housing Benefit can also be part of an application for other benefits and allowances. But, the type of benefit you are claiming for will determine how to apply for Housing Benefit payment.

ESA, Income Support, or Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact the nearest Jobcentre Plus to make a claim at the same time as an application for these benefits:

Note: The Jobcentre Plus office will send all the details of your claims to your local council.

Jobcentre Plus
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm.

Pension Credit

If you are applying for Pension Credit at the same time you should contact the Pension Service. They will send all the details of your claim for Housing Benefit to the local authority.

Pension Service
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Find out national call charges

Universal Credit

As a rule, you cannot receive Housing Benefit and Universal Credit at the same time. Some exceptions apply for people who are in certain kinds of supported housing.

You may get some help to pay for housing with a payment from Universal Credit instead. If so, the payment must go direct to the landlord.

Claiming in Advance and Backdating Housing Benefit

Some claims can take place up to 13 weeks in advance (17 weeks for people aged 60 or over). It usually applies if you are moving homes. But, you do not usually get the money before the move. Contact the council if you want to get a claim backdated.

Appealing a Housing Benefit Decision

Local councils handle Housing Benefit appeals. You should contact your local council to appeal a housing benefit decision. You must contact them to question a decision made by them and follow their appeals procedure.

How to Claim Housing Benefit in the United Kingdom