Home Rules Employment Benefits Housing Benefit › Supporting a Claim
Providing Evidence to Support a Claim

You are going to need to provide some basic information. Check what details and evidence you need to support a claim for Housing Benefit.

SUPPORTING A CLAIM: There is a way to get a claim for Housing Benefit processed faster.

You will need to have some information and evidence available when you make the claim. Make sure you know:

  • The total amount of rent you are paying and whether there is anything else included in the rental payments (e.g. utility charges for gas or electricity).
  • Whether you pay any service charges (including building maintenance or property insurance).
  • The full contact details of your landlord or letting agent.

Special Types of Tenancies

You may need to check whether you have an ‘assured tenancy’. It may apply to a tenancy started in 1997 or earlier if you are renting from a private landlord. The charity website ‘Shelter’ has a tenancy rights checker for this purpose.

Housing Benefit also applies to some government properties (e.g. for people in the armed forces). In this case, you would need to know whether you have a Crown Tenancy.

Information and Evidence to Provide

The supporting evidence you provide for Housing Benefit must be the original documents. They will not accept any copies. Thus, make sure you can produce the originals of:

  • The most recent payslips (if you are in work). You will need five (5) if you get paid weekly, or two (2) if you get paid monthly.
  • Your bank or building society statements for the previous two (2) full months.
  • Proof of other income sources or investments, including ISAs, shares, or Premium Bonds.
  • Proof of income sources for any non-dependants that live with you. As a rule, this applies to any adult relatives or friends.

You may also need to provide proof of the name and address of your partner. It would apply if you are working or you get contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance.

But, you must use different documents to prove their name and their address. Thus, you can provide any two (2) of these documents:

  • Birth or marriage certificate
  • Biometric residence permit
  • Certificate of registration or naturalisation
  • Current passport
  • Permanent residence card
  • Letter from HM Revenue and Customs or the Home Office
  • Recent utility bill
  • Recent bank or building society statement
  • Recent benefit award statements
  • United Kingdom photocard driving licence

Renting from a Private Landlord

If you rent ‘privately’ you will also need to provide at least one of these documents:

  • A tenancy agreement (or a rent book).
  • A letter from the landlord that confirms your tenancy (usually given at the beginning of a tenancy).
  • Some proof that you paid the rent (e.g. a rent book, bank statement, or rent receipts).

Information and Evidence used to Support a Claim for Housing Benefit