The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Case Examiner

Independent Case Examiner

A guide explaining who to contact about unresolved complaints regarding services from any agency within the Department for Work and Pension (DWP).


Any time you want to make objections about DWP services, such as at Jobcentre Plus, you should contact the Independent Case Examiner at the Government Office in Merseyside, if your case cannot be resolved.

What is the Independent Case Examiner?

The Independent Case Examiner is a service funded by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Their primary role is reviewing grievances lodged with them regarding certain government organisations that deal with benefits, work and financial support of citizens in the United Kingdom.

Besides providing an independent view on complaints of maladministration, they also act as an impartial referee for people who feel they have been treated unfairly or are dissatisfied with the way their unresolved complaint has been dealt with by the relevant agency or business organisation.

Department for Work and Pensions

Among the list of Department for Work and Pensions agencies you can include;

Note: Before contacting the Independent Case Examiner you must have already had a letter from the agency stating that it is their final response.

Complaints Procedure to the Independent Case Examiner

If you have decided to contact and complain to the Independent Case Examiner you should explain what happened and when.

Independent Case Examiner
PO Box 209, Bootle, Merseyside, L20 7WA

Telephone: 0345 606 0777
Outside the UK: +44 151 221 6500
Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm)
Typetalk: 18002 0151 221 6500
Click here to find out about call charges

Note: You need to send your protestation to the Independent Case Examiner within 6 months of getting the final response.

If the Independent Case Examiner upholds your complaint they can request the Department for Work and Pensions to re-open your case. That said, remember that they will not pay your legal fees throughout the process.

The next step is to complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if your dissatisfaction is not resolved or any time you feel the examiner's response is unsatisfactory.

Complain to Independent Case Examiner; UK Rules Updated 2017