Home Rules Driving Vehicle Tax Importing Vehicles › Car Registration
How to Register an Imported Vehicle

This section explains the process of registering a new or used imported vehicle into the UK. Find out which DVLA import pack you need and how to register an imported car.

DVLA IMPORT PACK: Bringing a vehicle to stay in the UK ‘permanently’ means you must register it with DVLA.

But, before registering an imported vehicle in the United Kingdom you must complete all the following:

Note: The vehicle also needs taxing when it gets registered with DVLA (the fee for this is £55).

Forms Required to Register an Imported Vehicle

The DVLA vehicle import pack is available as two separate packs. One is to import a new vehicle and the other is for used vehicle imports. Each pack contains the forms need.

Use the ‘new vehicle import pack’ if it has a certificate of newness from the dealer. The same process applies for vehicles that meets all these conditions:

  • The vehicle had no permanent registration in any country before.
  • It is a current model or a model discontinued in the past two (2) years.
  • It is the first time that it got sold by a retailer.
  • It only has a low ‘reasonable mileage’ (e.g. the minimum needed for delivery).

Note: You should complete the process of registering any other vehicle with the ‘used vehicle import pack’.

The Registration Process

You will need to fill in the forms and send any supporting documents needed. The next step is to follow the instructions for new registrations of vehicles in the United Kingdom. In some cases DVLA will ask to inspect the imported vehicle.

Supporting Documentation for Vehicle Imports

DVLA do not accept photocopies or faxes when registering an imported car. So, you will also need to send extra original documentation including:

  • Proof of vehicle approval.
  • A V267 form (also called the ‘declaration of newness‘) for registering a new imported vehicle.
  • Some evidence that shows the date the vehicle got collected (e.g. an invoice from the supplier).
  • The original foreign registration certificate showing when the vehicle got manufactured. The DVLA do not return this particular document.

What if you do not have the original foreign registration certificate? In some cases, DVLA may accept other proof of the manufacture date. For example, they might accept a letter from the manufacturer or a letter from a vehicle enthusiast club.

Note: The registration certificate (V5C) may take up to sex (6) weeks to arrive. You cannot get number plates made up until you have the V5C log book.

DVLA Registering an Imported Vehicle in the United Kingdom