The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'
Get V5C Logbook

How to get a Vehicle Log Book

You need to replace a vehicle log book or 'V5C' if the original got damaged, lost, or stolen. A similar process also applies if you did not get a V5C logbook with a new vehicle.

Apply for New Log Book by Phone

The registered keeper of a vehicle can apply by telephone if the V5C is missing, damaged, or destroyed.

DVLA Vehicle Registration Enquiries
Telephone: 0300 790 6802
Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
Saturday: 8am to 2pm
Check call charges to 0300 numbers.

The cost of a replacement log book is £25 payable by debit card or credit card. Allow up to five (5) working days for a replacement V5C to arrive.

Note: You can only apply by phone if your name, address, or the vehicle details have not changed. If they have changed you must apply by postal methods instead.

Apply for Replacement Log Book by Post

  1. Download the document titled 'V62: application for a vehicle registration certificate'.
  2. Fill in the application form with your details to apply for a new log book using form V62.
  3. Send the completed document to the DVLA with a cheque or a postal order for £25. Make it payable to 'DVLA, Swansea'.
Vehicle Customer Services
SA99 1DD

Note: Allow up to six (6) weeks for a replacement log book to arrive after applying by postal methods.

New Car No Log Book V5C Registration?

  1. Download the document titled 'Apply for a vehicle registration certificate (form V62)'.
  2. Send it to the DVLA with the green 'new keeper's details' slip (V5C/2) that you got when you bought the vehicle.
  3. There is no fee to get a log book for a new vehicle.

Note: What if you have not got the green 'new keeper's details' slip? In this case you would have to pay a fee of £25. Include a cheque or postal order made payable to 'DVLA, Swansea' and allow up to 6 weeks to get a V5C.

Tax a Vehicle without a Logbook

Often, you can get road tax for a vehicle at a large Post Office branch and order a new log book at the same time.

Fill in the standard application for a log book (form V62). Take the form and the £25 fee to a Post Office branch that handles vehicle tax. The Post Office will confirm whether you can get road tax without the log book.

How Long does it take to get a New Log Book?

The time to wait for a new V5C logbook varies on how you applied for it. But, you should phone the DVLA if the new log book does not arrive:

How to get a Replacement Vehicle Log Book V5C in the United Kingdom