TERRORIST ACTS: The VOTCS scheme provides compensation for victims of terrorism abroad since the 27th of November 2012.
To qualify as a victim of overseas terrorism one of these must apply:
- You suffered a physical or mental injury in a specific act of terrorism.
- You witnessed a loved one get injured in a specific act of terrorism.
- The victim killed in a specific act of terrorism was your partner or a close family member.
The eligibility criteria to claim compensation means you must also:
- Be a British, EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, or member of the UK Armed Forces (family member or close relation).
- Have lived in the United Kingdom for three (3) years immediately before the terrorist incident took place.
Victims Can Claim for these Overseas Terrorist Acts
This list highlights recent terrorist attacks carried out abroad that you can currently claim for. In some cases, you may also qualify as a victim of other attacks of terrorism that happened overseas.
- The terrorist attack that took place in Berlin, Germany on the 19th of December 2016
- The terrorist attack that took place in Nice, France on the 14th of July 2016
- The terrorist attack that took place in Brussels, Belgium on the 22nd of March 2016
- The terrorist attack that took place in Paris, France on the 13th of November 2015
- The terrorist attack that took place at Port el Kantaoui near Sousse, Tunisia on the 26th of June 2015
- The terrorist attack that took place at Kabul airport, Afghanistan on the 17th of May 2015
- The terrorist attack that took place at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis, Tunisia on the 18th of March 2015
- The terrorist attack that took place at the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya on the 21st of September 2013
- The kidnapping of Setraco employees in Jama’are, Nigeria that took place on the 16th of February 2013
- The hostage crisis at In Amenas, Algeria that took place on the 16th of January 2013
Note: You can read a detailed guide about applying for compensation under the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme.
How to Claim from the CICA
There are several different application forms to claim compensation as a victim of terrorism abroad. But, each form provides detailed information on how to apply.
Fill in the most relevant form and then send it to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority
Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme (VOTCS) Team
PO Box 26996