HomeRulesImmigration and VisaPassportsChild Passport › Replacements
Replace a Lost or Stolen Child Passport

Besides canceling a lost, stolen, or a damaged child passport, you will also need a replacement. There are several easy ways to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged child passport (i.e. online or by post).

Replacing a Lost Child’s Passport Online

In fact, you can use the normal passport application service to replace a child passport and pay for it online.

You will need to print off the application form and check the details. Send the form to the HM Passport Office address written on the form.

Replacing a Lost Child Passport by Post

There are two ways to get hold of the paper application form when you are replacing your child’s passport (or baby’s) by postal methods:

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Telephone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays: 9am to 5:30pm

If you use the paper form you will need to fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, and section 10. If your child is twelve (12) or older they will need to sign section six (6).

There are two methods of sending in a child passport replacement application form. You can either:

  • Send the form, photos, and the documents by postal methods. If so, you can use the HMPO pre-printed envelope that accompanies the form.
  • Take the form, photos, and documents to the Post Office if you are using the Passport Check and Send service.

Note: You must report a lost or stolen passport (cancel it) without delay. Canceling it will help to reduce the risk of anyone else using it.

Signing the Passport Application Form

The person who signs the passport application must have parental responsibility for the child or baby. The child also needs to sign it if they are between twelve (12) and fifteen (15) years old.

Countersigning the Passport Application

Someone that you know must countersign the application form and one of the photographs of your child.

Note: HM Passport Office has produced a booklet as a help guide. It explains how to fill in a passport application form and provide the correct photo.

Required Documents to Replace Children Passports

Replacing a Lost or Stolen Child Passport

You will need to produce ‘written consent’ if it gets lost or stolen. The person who signed the previous application form must write a signed and dated letter. The letter must confirm that the passport got lost or stolen.

Other documentation required includes:

  • Two (2) ‘new’ photos of your child or baby (according to passport photos rules).
  • Any valid passports from a different country if they belong to the child.
  • Any court orders (e.g. describing residency arrangements or parental responsibility).
Replacing a Damaged Child Passport

To replace a damaged passport you need to send all of these documents with the application:

  • Two (2) ‘new’ photos of your child or baby.
  • The damaged passport.
  • A letter from someone who has parental responsibility that explains how the damage occurred.
  • Any valid passports from a different country if they belong to the child.
  • Any court orders (e.g. describing residency arrangements or parental responsibility).

Choosing How to get Your Documents Returned

As a rule, HMPO send back the documents by regular postal services. But, you can choose to have them sent by secure delivery for a small fee (about £5). You can choose to use this option on the child passport application form.


Getting a Child Passport | A help guide on applying for a minor’s passports, renewals, and the fees.

Passport Services for Disabled | Using free facilities and passport services if you’re blind or disabled.

Getting a Replaced Child Passport Back

In most cases, you will receive your replacement child passport by courier or through the Royal Mail. You will be able to track your passport application. When they deliver it to you, they will either:

  • Post the passport through your letterbox.
  • Deliver it by hand (if you are at home).
  • Leave a card or post a letter saying how you can get it. The letter will not state that the package is a passport.

Replacing a Lost, Stolen or Damaged Child Passport in the United Kingdom