The UK Rules
First Child Passport

Applying for a First Child's Passport UK

Unless your child has held a British passport before, you will need to apply for a first child passport. But, the child must be under 16 and have British nationality to meet the requirements.

Applying for a Child Passport Online UK

In fact, you can use the normal passport application service to apply for a child passport and pay for it online.

You will need to print off the application form and check the details. Send the form to the HM Passport Office address written on the form.

Note: Remember to send passport photos and supporting documents.

Applying for a Child Passport by Post

There are two ways to get the paper application form if you want to apply for a child passport, or baby, by postal methods:

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays: 9am to 5:30pm

If you use the paper form you will need to fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and section 9. If your child is twelve (12) or older they will need to sign section six (6).

A 'countersignatory' needs to fill in section ten (10) and certify the photo of your child. The person who fills in section 10 should be someone who knows you and your child.

Note: HM Passport Office has produced a booklet as a help guide. It explains how to fill in a passport application form and provide the correct photo.

There are two methods of sending in a first child passport application form. You can either:

Signing the Passport Application Form

The person who signs the passport application must have parental responsibility for the child or baby. The child also needs to sign it if they are between twelve (12) and fifteen (15) years old.

First Child Passport Documentation Required

For the UK, you will need to send certain documents along with a first child's passport application form, including:

HM Passport Office only accept original documents or official copies of certificates. Thus, you may need to register with the General Register Office. They do not accept photocopies or 'certified copies'.

Note: What if the documents are in a different language other than English or Welsh? In this case, you must send certified translations along with the originals. You must not send laminated documents.

If Passport Name is different to Birth Certificate Name

If the name on the passport does not match the name on the birth certificate you will need to send:

Choosing How to get Your Documents Returned

As a rule, HMPO send back the documents by regular postal services. But, you can choose to have them sent by secure delivery for a small fee (about £5). You can choose to use this option on the child passport application form.


Get a Passport for a Child | A help guide on applying for a children's passports, renewals, and the costs.

Passport Services for the Disabled | Using free facilities and passport services if you're blind or disabled.

Getting Your First Child Passport

In most cases, you will receive your new child passport by courier or through the Royal Mail. There is a service for tracking a passport application. When they deliver it to you, they will either:

Applying for First Child Passport in the United Kingdom