Changing the Name or Personal Details

If your child changes their name or certain other details they will need to get a new passport. This guide explains the two options for changing the name or personal details on a child passport.

Changing for a Child’s Passport Online

In fact, you can use the normal passport application service to change the name or personal details on a child passport.

You will need to print off the application form and check the details. Send the form to the HM Passport Office address written on the form.

Changing for a Child Passport by Post

There are two ways to get a paper application form if you want to update your child or baby passport by postal methods:

  • Get it from a Post Office that offers the Passport Check and Send service.
  • Contact the Passport Adviceline to get a form posted to your address.

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays: 9am to 5:30pm

If you use the paper form you will need to fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, and section 9. If your child is twelve (12) or older they will need to sign section six (6).

Countersigning the Passport Application

You may need a ‘countersignatory‘ to fill in section 10 and countersign one of the photos. It would be someone who knows you and your child so they can certify your child’s photo.

The countersignatory process applies if your child is eleven or under. You may also need it if their old photo does not show their current facial features (not recognised).

Note: Remember to add the new name that you want printed on the passport in the application. Contact the Passport Adviceline if you want to change any other personal details. Typical examples include a date or place of birth, or national status.

The HM Passport Office booklet explains how to fill in a passport application form and provide the correct photo.

There are two methods of sending in a child passport change application form. You can either:

  • Send the form, photos, and the documents by postal methods. If so, you can use the HMPO pre-printed envelope that accompanies the form.
  • Take the form, photos, and documents to the Post Office if you are using the Passport Check and Send service.

Documentation Required to Change a Child Passport

When changing a child passport in the United Kingdom you will need to send certain documents with the application form, including:

  • The existing (old) passport.
  • Two (2) ‘new’ photos of your child or baby (according to passport photos rules).
  • Either a deed poll name change or some other document that shows the change of name.
  • Some evidence showing the use of the new name (e.g. NHS records, school records, or child benefits).
  • A signed and dated letter from everyone who has parental responsibility for the child. It must confirm the name change and that all parties agree to the child getting a new passport.

Choosing How to get Your Documents Returned

As a rule, HMPO send back the documents by regular postal services. But, you can choose to have them sent by secure delivery for a small fee (about £5). You can choose to use this option on the child passport application form.

Getting a Changed Child Passport Back

In most cases, you will receive your updated child passport by courier or through the Royal Mail. You will be able to track the passport application. When they deliver it to you, they will either:

  • Post the passport through your letterbox.
  • Deliver it by hand (if you are at home).
  • Leave a card or post a letter saying how you can get it. The letter will not state that the package is a passport.


How to get a Child’s Passport | A help guide on applying for a child passports, renewals, and charges.

Free Passport Services for Disabled | Using facilities and passport services if you’re disabled or blind.

Changing the Name or Personal Details on a Child Passport in the United Kingdom