The UK Rules
Change Name

Changing the Name or Personal Details

If your child changes their name or certain other details they will need to get a new passport. This guide explains the two options for changing the name or personal details on a child passport.

Changing for a Child's Passport Online

In fact, you can use the normal passport application service to change the name or personal details on a child passport.

You will need to print off the application form and check the details. Send the form to the HM Passport Office address written on the form.

Changing for a Child Passport by Post

There are two ways to get a paper application form if you want to update your child or baby passport by postal methods:

Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
Outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays: 9am to 5:30pm

If you use the paper form you will need to fill in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, and section 9. If your child is twelve (12) or older they will need to sign section six (6).

Countersigning the Passport Application

You may need a 'countersignatory' to fill in section 10 and countersign one of the photos. It would be someone who knows you and your child so they can certify your child's photo.

The countersignatory process applies if your child is eleven or under. You may also need it if their old photo does not show their current facial features (not recognised).

Note: Remember to add the new name that you want printed on the passport in the application. Contact the Passport Adviceline if you want to change any other personal details. Typical examples include a date or place of birth, or national status.

The HM Passport Office booklet explains how to fill in a passport application form and provide the correct photo.

There are two methods of sending in a child passport change application form. You can either:

Documentation Required to Change a Child Passport

When changing a child passport in the United Kingdom you will need to send certain documents with the application form, including:

Choosing How to get Your Documents Returned

As a rule, HMPO send back the documents by regular postal services. But, you can choose to have them sent by secure delivery for a small fee (about £5). You can choose to use this option on the child passport application form.


How to get a Child's Passport | A help guide on applying for a child passports, renewals, and charges.

Free Passport Services for Disabled | Using facilities and passport services if you're disabled or blind.

Getting a Changed Child Passport Back

In most cases, you will receive your updated child passport by courier or through the Royal Mail. You will be able to track the passport application. When they deliver it to you, they will either:

Changing the Name or Personal Details on a Child Passport in the United Kingdom