Home Rules Housing and Local Services › Property Ownership Laws
Property Ownership Law in the UK

Buying a home is one of the biggest financial decisions you can make. This section lists property ownership laws and the legalities to consider when owning a property.

The key topics include how to report acts of vandalism to buildings or land and the process of updating property records when someone dies.

UK PROPERTY LAW: There will be no shortage of legal responsibilities once you own your home.

As a property owner, you will be responsible for all maintenance costs. That includes any necessary major structural repairs and a host of routine repairs.

As a rule, there will be tax implications when you sell a property. You may need to update the property records when someone dies.

Public information about a registered property or land is available if it is in England or Wales. You can get this information even if you do not own the land or property.

Basic Guide to Owning a Property

Affordable Home Ownership Schemes

Many young homeseekers dismiss buying a property believing that they cannot afford it. Even so, several affordable home ownership schemes can help first-time buyers buy a property.

Buying or Selling a Home

This guide about buying or selling your home explains when you need an EPC, how to use estate agents, and the rules for conveyancing and paying tax.

Note: You can find out how much a property sold for in England or Wales, and information about price trends, using the price paid data service.

Property Fraud Protection

The information in this help guide explains how to protect land and property from fraud and fraudsters in the United Kingdom.

Claiming for Mining Subsidence

This help guide explains how to claim for subsidence damage caused by coal mining and who would be dealing with your case.

Note: You can report a dangerous building or structure to the local council authority if you are living in England or Wales.

HM Land Registry

Getting Information from HMLR

You do not need to be the registered owner to search for information about property or land in England and Wales (e.g. who owns it, get a copy of the deeds).

Notice from HM Land Registry

You can find out how to object to land register changes on the GOV.UK website (e.g. if someone applies to register a change that may affect your property).

Note: The online service at HM Land Registry allows you to find a property and get information about its title plan, title register, and who owns it.

Party Walls and Shared Structures

This guide explains when you need to inform a neighbour about party walls and building work and what to do if you are unable to reach an agreement.

Property Boundaries and Fences

The guide explains how property boundaries work, how to settle boundary disputes with a neighbour, and how to correct a mistake on the title plan.

Registering Land and Property

This section explains how to register land or property with HM Land Registry, the process for transferring ownership, and how to change your details on the register.

HS2 Compensation Scheme

The information in this section explains how to claim compensation for property near HS2 and how the Express Purchase Scheme works.

Leasehold Properties

This leasehold property help guide explains leaseholder rights and responsibilities, the procedures for buying the freehold, and how to settle disputes with the landlord (freeholder).

Part 1 Claims

Check how to make a Part 1 claim for compensation if your property’s value has depreciated because of physical factors from highways in the United Kingdom.

Reporting Vandalism to Property

You should contact your local council to report vandalism to property or to land. At this time, the online service is only available in England and Wales.

Stamp Duty (SDLT)

The Stamp Duty Land Tax guide contains information about the rates for residential and non-residential properties, and how to qualify for reliefs and exemptions.

Support for Mortgage Interest

MIRO Rules

In some cases, Mortgage Interest Run On benefit can provide financial help with housing costs. It may apply when certain income-based benefits are about to stop.

SMI Rules

The Support for Mortgage Interest scheme can help to cover the cost of mortgage and loan interest payments. Find out what you could get if you are be a homeowner.

Important: The Mortgage Rescue Scheme closed in 2014. Another section explains more about property repossession if you have difficulty paying a mortgage or are in danger of becoming homeless.

Updating Property Records

Property Records

There are several different ways of updating property records when someone dies. Check how to update property records or transfer a registered property after a death.

Property Search

You can search for property information online through HM Land Registry. The search tool covers England and Wales even if you do not own the property.

Property Ownership Rules and Regulations in United Kingdom