HomeUK RulesEmploymentBenefitsUniversal Credit › Report a Change
UC Reporting a Change in Circumstances

You must report a change of circumstances if you are getting Universal Credit. Reporting circumstantial changes ensures you get the right amount each month. The information in this help guide also explains the process for reporting changes that can influence the advance payment.

Change of Circumstances You Must Report

  • Changing bank account details, email, or mobile number
  • Changes in earnings for self-employed workers
  • Changes to investments and savings (including personal wealth)
  • Having a baby (or start caring for a child or a disabled person)
  • Health (e.g. unable to work or attend work coach meetings)
  • Rental payments going up or down
  • Moving in to live with a partner (or moving to a new address)
  • Starting work (or ending a job)

Note: Giving the wrong information, or failing to report a change of circumstances (including immigration status for non British citizens) can result in a penalty or having to attend court.

Reporting Changes for Universal Credit

You must use the same username and password to sign in to your Universal Credit account (e.g. when you first applied for UC) and not with GOV.UK Verify.

After logging in to the service, you will be able to:

Note: The online service for signing in to your Universal Credit account on the GOV.UK website is also available in Welsh language (mewngofnodi i’ch cyfrif Credyd Cynhwysol).

Getting a Job (or increasing your working hours)

Starting work, or receiving an increase in earnings, can affect your claim for Universal Credit. You can either use a benefits calculator or discuss it with your work coach to check what happens if you get a job.

If You Get Paid Too Much

There are several reasons why you may need to repay the money you are getting from Universal Credit. Typical examples include:

  • Failing to report a change of circumstances (or not reporting it straight away).
  • Giving inaccurate or incorrect information to the department that pays the money. Another section explains how to repay money owed from a benefit overpayment.
  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) made a mistake and it caused the overpayment.

Note: Giving out the wrong information (or failing to report a change in your circumstances) can result in a civil penalty or a court appearance.

Reporting a Terminal Illness

Extra money is available for UC claimants who are, or become, terminally ill. As a rule, the expectation of life will determine what you need to do.

Life Expectancy More than 6 Months

You need to report it using the same method as any other change of circumstance if your life expectancy will be more than six (6) months.

Life Expectancy Less than 6 Months

Use your Universal Credit account to report changes if your life expectancy will be less than six (6) months. The staff at the department will contact you and explain what to do next.

You can have another person report the change of circumstance on your behalf. If so, they need to get ‘DS1500’ filled in by a doctor or a healthcare professional (your doctor will have the form).

There would be no requirement for you to have the Work Capability Assessment (WCA). But, you would need to send the completed and signed form to:

Department for Work and Pensions
Universal Credit Full Service

Note: You may have already sent form DS1500 for other benefits (e.g. Employment and Support Allowance or Personal Independence Payment). If so, there is no need to send another one.

Universal Credit Help Guides

Universal Credit Rules: An overview explaining what the Universal benefit system is and how it works.
Universal Credit Eligibility: Most people will qualify if they are on a low income or they are out of work.
Universal Credit Rates: Payments combine a standard allowance and any extra amounts that may apply.
How to Claim Universal Credit: You must apply online and as a couple if you are living with your partner.
Universal Credit Payments: Check how long it takes for the first payment and how often they get paid.
Advance on First Payment: Find out how to get an advance payment to help cover essential living costs.
Claimant Commitment: Check what you need to do and your responsibilities if you get Universal Credit.
Other Financial Support: Help is available from various other organisations if you are having difficulties.

Apply for Change of Circumstances Advance Payment UC