HomeRulesEmploymentBenefitsUniversal Credit › How to Claim
How to Claim Universal Credit Online

You must apply for Universal Credit online. Claim UC as a couple if you and your partner are living together (even if you are not married).

APPLYING FOR UNIVERSAL CREDIT: The personal information and the details you will need to provide includes:

  • A bank account, building society, or credit union account (for payments).
  • A contact email address and your UK National Insurance number.
  • Any relevant details on your housing circumstances (e.g. how much rent you pay).
  • Details showing the amount of income you get (e.g. payslips).
  • Details about childcare services (if you apply for help with childcare costs).
  • Details of any savings or investments you have (e.g. shares or any rental income from a property).

There are some important steps to follow once you have applied for Universal Credit. You must contact Jobcentre Plus in your local area within seven (7) days of your application. The purpose of this is to set up an appointment with a Job Centre work coach.

Note: Failing to give the correct information when you apply for Universal Credit can delay the payments and the amount you get. Failing to attend the appointment means you will not get Universal Credit.

You will need to verify your identity when you make an online application. Proof of identity can be your debit or credit card, your driving licence, or a valid passport.

When you apply for Universal Credit online you can use the service to:

  • Start a Universal Credit claim.
  • Switch your Universal Credit account online.
  • Join your partner’s Universal Credit claim.

How to get Help with an Application

There are several reasons why you might need some help to make an application. You can contact the Universal Credit helpline if:

  • You have further questions or concerns about applying.
  • You need help accessing a computer or using a computer.
  • You need information provided in alternative formats (e.g. Audio CD, braille, or large print).
  • You want to apply for Universal Credit in Welsh language.

Universal Credit Helpline
Telephone:0800 328 5644
Welsh language (make a claim):0800 012 1888
Welsh language (report changes):0800 328 1744
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Check call charges to 0800 numbers.

Having a Disability or Illness that affects Your Work

Often, a disability or a health condition can affect your ability to do work. In this case, you might need to have a Work Capability Assessment to show the full effect.

Several things may happens depending on the outcome of the assessment. But, it could mean that you qualify for an extra amount on top of the standard allowance.

Already Claimed Universal Credit Before

You may need to make a new claim if you already claimed UC before. You can apply online by signing in to an existing account. You will need to phone the Universal Credit helpline if you do not have an online account. They will inform you whether you are eligible to claim again.

Living in a ‘Live Service’ Area

You do not always need to make a new claim. It will be automatic if a claim was in the last six (6) months and the payments ended due to the amount of earnings.


Universal Credit Rules: An overview explaining what the Universal benefit system is and how it works.
Universal Credit Eligibility: Most people will qualify if they are on a low income or they are out of work.
Universal Credit Rates: Payments combine a standard allowance and any extra amounts that may apply.
Universal Credit Payments: Check how long it takes for the first payment and how often they get paid.
Advance on First Payment: Find out how to get an advance payment to help cover essential living costs.
Claimant Commitment: Check what you need to do and your responsibilities if you get Universal Credit.
Reporting Changes: You must report a change of circumstances while you are getting Universal Credit.
Other Financial Support: Help is available from various other organisations if you are having difficulties.

Challenging a Decision about Universal Credit

Contact the DWP if you feel a decision made about your Universal Credit entitlement is in error. Explain why you think the decision is wrong and ask them to look at it again. This is a process called ‘mandatory reconsideration‘.

The Department for Work and Pensions will either change the decision or explain why it remains unchanged. You may be able to appeal to a tribunal if you are still dissatisfied with the final outcome.

How to Claim Universal Credit Online in the United Kingdom