Home Rules Employment Benefits Families › Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
Payment Claim for Armed Forces Injury

How do you qualify for armed forces injury compensation? Were you injured, or were you ill, while serving in the armed forces?

ARMED FORCES INJURY CLAIM: If so, there are several types of armed forces injury claims. But most likely you can.

This section has all the answers about making claims to the different compensation schemes. Find out exactly who can claim and how.

As a rule, you can apply to if you got injured or became ill while serving in the armed forces (or reserve forces).

Use this guidance to find out how long it takes to receive compensation. It sometimes happens that a compensation claim for armed forces injury may not always go to plan.

In this case you need to know the proper steps for complaining about decisions and awards. The armed forces compensation scheme can include regular payments or a lump sum.

There are several different types of claims for armed forces injury or illness. You can claim armed forces injury compensation for physical and mental conditions. The main rule is that they must have happened as a result of your service.

Types of Armed Forces Injury Claims

Your rights to benefits entitlement mean you may also qualify to claim compensation for:

  • An injury sustained in a service-related activity (e.g. a military training exercise).
  • Certain preexisting conditions if you feel your service made them worse.

Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) Scheme (CIC(O))

Have you been a victim of violent crime while you were serving in the armed forces abroad? The Criminal Injuries Compensation (Overseas) scheme may help.

Armed Forces Compensation Amounts

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme amounts vary, depending on two main factors:

  1. When you got injured.
  2. When the circumstances happened that caused your illness.

Note: Recompense from another scheme might affect how much armed forces compensation you get.

Injury or Illness due to Service Before 6 April 2005

A successful armed forces claim for injury means you will get, either a:

  • Pension (for a disability assessed at 20% or more).
  • Lump sum (for a disability assessed at less than 20%).

The compensation amount depends on the severity of your injury. You may be eligible for other allowances if you have mobility problems or cannot find a job.

Injury or Illness due to Service after 5 April 2005

After April 2005, an armed forces claim for injury means you will get a lump sum payment. Tax-free compensation payments range between £1,236 and £650,000. The compensation amount depends on the severity of your injury.

Payments for Serious Injury or Illness

In some cases, extra payments result from severe injuries or serious illnesses. As a rule they are tax-free monthly payments made for life, following your discharge.

The Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) is salary based. Your age and severity of your injury also affect the GIP payment award.

Note: You can also claim Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) if your Guaranteed Income Payment level is 50% of your salary or more.

Armed Forces Compensation Form: How to Claim

Claiming the Armed Forces Compensation is straight forward. The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and the War Pension Scheme use the same form. After filling in the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme claim form send it to the address written on the document.

In some cases they may contact you to get further evidence to support your armed forces injury claim. If so, the Veterans Welfare Service can help you make your claim.

Did you get a severe injury during your military service after the 8th of May 2011? If so, you might be eligible to apply for a ‘fast payment’ of £60,000.

Disagreeing with a Decision on Your Armed Forces Injury Claim

The first step is to write to Veterans UK asking them to reconsider their decision. Failing that, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. As a rule you should lodge your appeal within 12 months of the decision.

Veterans UK
Thornton Cleveleys
Lancashire, FY5 3WP
Telephone: 0808 191 4218
Telephone: +44 1253 866 043
Monday to Thursday: 7.30am to 6.30pm
Friday: 7.30am to 5.00pm
Call charge rates in the United Kingdom.

Armed Forces Injury Claim Additional Payments

You can apply for additional payments while they process your armed forces injury claim. The first step is to apply for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP). In some cases you may also qualify for:

  • Other allowances (if your injury or illness is due to service before 6 April 2005).
  • An Armed Forces Independence Payment (if you were seriously injured on or after 6 April 2005).

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Check to see if you are eligible for Armed Forces Independence Payment. AFIP is for those who have been seriously injured. But you should wait until after you get the result of your compensation claim before applying.

AFIP is tax free and paid every 4 weeks into a secure account, such as you bank or building society account. Armed Forces Independence Payment is currently £151.40 per week.

Armed Forces Independence Payment Eligibility

Your eligibility for Armed Forces Independence Payment depends on both of the following:

  1. You received your injury during service on or after the 6th of April 2005.
  2. You receive a Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) of 50% or more.

Armed Forces Independence Payment is guaranteed at this level of GIP. As a rule they do not reassess you again. You might get a PIP if you cannot get AFIP but you have a long-term health condition or disability.

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme claim form is available at Veterans UK. There is no claims deadline.

AFIP Claims with other Benefits

Claiming AFIP means you should be eligible for other benefits such as Child Tax Credit. This is because AFIP does not count as income when working out your benefits. If you (or your partner) get AFIP your household is also exempt from the benefit cap.

Armed Forces Compensation Form for Injury Claims