HomeRulesEmploymentBenefitsEntitlements › Payment Exception Service
How Payment Exception Service Works

The new Payment Exception Service has now replaced the Simple Payment scheme. This help guide explains how some people can collect benefit payments if they do not have a bank account.

Using a Payment Card to get Your Money

Some welfare claimants cannot use a bank or a building society account. Others have problems with credit union or Post Office card accounts. The Simple Payments system has now ended. The Payment Exception Service replaced it instead.

It is the new way for some people to collect their welfare benefits or their pension payments. But, the new benefits collection service is only available for ‘very limited circumstances’.

You should receive a payment card that you can use to collect benefits and pensions. But, you can only use it at a PayPoint outlet offering the Payment Exception Service.

What if you have not received a payment card yet? They might send you a voucher (by email) or a text message (with a unique reference number) instead.

How to Find Your Nearest PayPoint Outlet

There are several ways to collect a payment. You must show either the card, the voucher, or the text message at the PayPoint outlet.

PayPoint outlets are commonplace around the United Kingdom. You will find them in local convenience stores, at newsagents, and in some supermarkets.

Enter a postcode on the PayPoint website to find a Payment Exception Service point that is close to you.

Note: Existing claimants should have received a letter telling them about Simple Payment service ending. Get in touch with the office that pays your benefit if you did not get notification to move over to the new service.

Payment Exception Service Collection Limit

The payment collection limit is £100. So, you may need to make several collections to get the full amount that is due to you.

Note: Once the office makes a benefit or pension payment you must claim it within thirty (30) days.

Using Documents to Prove Your Identity

PayPoint outlets will not accept copies of documents. Thus, you will need one (1) original document to show as proof of your identity. As a rule, any of the listed documents will meet the requirements:

  • A council tax bill or a tenancy agreement.
  • A current passport.
  • A current electricity, gas, landline phone bill, or water bill (not more than three (3) months old).
  • A valid United Kingdom photocard or paper driving licence.

If Someone Else Collects Your Money

You will need a few extra documents if you are getting someone else to collect money on your behalf. The collector will need:

  • Either your original payment card or the voucher.
  • A document that proves your identity.
  • A document that proves the identity of the person who collects the money.

People Who Cannot Manage their Own Financial Affairs

Some people find it difficult to manage their own monetary affairs. But, you can apply to become an appointee for someone claiming benefits and collect it for them.

The appointee gets a payment card to use on behalf of the claimant. It would also be their responsibility to report any change in circumstances.

Payment Exception Service Lost Card Procedures

The first step is to contact the office that makes the payments if your card gets lost or damaged. They will block it and then send you a new replacement card.

The office will also send you a voucher by email or a text message. Doing so should ensure you do not miss out on any of the payments.

Note: You might get a reference number sent to you by telephone for emergency situations. It would allow you to get immediate access to the payment. Further information is available at the office that pays out your benefit or pension.

How to Get Extra Help or Complain

You can contact PayPoint if you need help using their service. But, you should contact the office that pays your benefit or your pension if you need help or want to make a complaint.

PayPoint Contact Number (UK Head office)
1 The Boulevard Shire Park
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire AL7 1EL
Telephone: Freephone 0800 310 0000

How to Use the Payment Exception Service in the United Kingdom