Home Rules Employment Benefits Rights Prison › Council Tax Exemption
Council Tax Exemption while in Prison

Prisoners, and those on remand, do not count as an adult living in a property. The loss of entitlement means they would not qualify for a Council Tax exemption or reduction.

SINGLE PERSON: What happens if your status is single and in prison, or on remand, with no one living in your home?

In this case, you can apply to be exempt from Council Tax.

Note: Your home is not exempt if you are in prison for not paying Council Tax or you got a fine for not paying it.

Couple On Remand

Is your partner on remand and expected to be home in a year or less? If so, you can apply (or continue) to get joint Council Tax Reduction.

Couples in Prison

Is your partner expected to be in prison for 13 weeks or less (including any time on remand)? If so, you can claim (or continue) to claim joint Council Tax Reduction.

Making a New Claim for Council Tax Reduction

Will your partner be absent for more than 13 weeks? If so, and you are the only adult in the property, you will receive a 25 per cent discount off your Council Tax bill.

Note: You may be able to apply for Council Tax Reduction if you do not already get it.


Keeping in Touch with Someone in Prison | Check out the different methods of contacting a prisoner.

Support for Families and Friends of Prisoners | Getting support and advice if you know someone in prison.

How Prison or Being On Remand affects Council Tax Exemption and Reduction in UK