Home Rules Employment Benefits Child Benefit › Claiming on Someone Else's Behalf
Claiming Child Benefit for Someone Else

How to get authorisation to claim and deal with Child Benefit for someone else's child. An example could be if your child has a baby.

CLAIMING ON SOMEONE ELSE’S BEHALF: You will need authorisation form TC689. This document allows someone else to become an appointee.

There are several reasons to get an application to claim and deal with Child Benefit for another person.

As a rule, responsibility may pass over to an individual or to a voluntary organisation.

What if Your Child Has a Baby?

You claim Child Benefit for your own and for another child falling under your responsibility. In some cases, you can get entitlement to claim for their baby too.

You can collect the payment on behalf of your youngster, if they are already claiming the benefit. But, you will need to discuss the agreement with their bank.

Payments made by the Child Benefit Office can only go into one account. The account must have the original claimant’s name registered on the account as well (e.g. a shared or joint account).

How to Become an Appointee

An individual or a voluntary organisation may become an appointee. They get the right to claim and deal with Child Benefit for someone else who is unable to manage their own affairs.

There are several reasons to get appointed to do this on behalf of another person. But, the most likely is if that person is ‘severely’ disabled or mentally incapable.

You can contact the Child Benefit Office using the online service or by telephone. They will explain how to become an appointee and whether it is the best option available.

Note: Helping someone complete a claim form does not make you an automatic appointee. You do not always need to become an appointee to deal with someone else’s bank or the Post Office account. You may be able to collect payments on their behalf without becoming an appointee.

Appointee Responsibilities

You become a ‘paid agent‘ when Child Benefit gets paid into your bank account. Thus, as an appointee and a paid agent your responsibilities will include:

Stop or Change Appointee Authorisation

To stop or change the authorisation of an appointee you should write to the Child Benefit Office. You should contact them within one month of when you want the stoppage or changes to occur.

Authorised Information

The Child Benefit Helpline is only allowed to discuss authorised information on a claim with the actual person who named on the claim form or their nominated appointee. They will only give general advice to a partner or someone else.

How to Get Approval

To get authorisation, the claimant must complete form TC689. Send it to the Tax Credit Office address as stated on the document. You may also send a written letter containing the same information.

As a rule, official approval is valid for 12 months and it takes two days to get the clearance. This happens after receipt of your TC689 and the Child Benefit claim form of the claimant. You should send in separate forms if more than one person wants authorisation.

Acting for Multiple Clients

You can register as an ‘intermediary organisation’ by writing to the Tax Credit Office. That means you act for many people and work in the voluntary sector. Urgent approval is available online for an organisation once they have completed form TC689.

Organisations who act for multiple clients must keep records. They should keep completed documentation for seven years from the original signature date.

Acting as a Paid Agent

The client needs to send a letter to the Child Benefit Office. The letter should say that you can deal with the claim on their behalf. Use form CH995 to authorise someone to deal with High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge matters on your behalf.

Note: You should cancel an authorisation ‘officially’ by confirming it in writing with the Child Benefit Office.

Claiming and Dealing with Child Benefit for Someone Else’s Child