The UK Rules
'Follow the Regulations'

Child Benefit in Hospital Care

You should inform the Child Benefit Office in order to protect your benefit payments if your child goes into care for more than eight (8) weeks.

CHILDREN IN HOSPITAL: If your child goes into care or 'residential care' for more than twelve (12) weeks it can also affect your Child benefit payments.

Information may be given to them by phone, online, or by post.

Child in Residential Care

Accommodation paid for by your local council is termed 'residential care'.

Residential care is not the same as standard care.

Your child may be placed in residential care if he or she has a mental or physical disability. If the child spend less than one year abroad then the hospital can be abroad.

Breaks in Hospital Care

Going back into hospital or residential care within 28 days of leaving it means the total time your child spent away from home will count towards the twelve (12) week limit (84 days).

8 or 12 Week Limit and Exceptions

Typically your Child Benefit will stop after the eight or twelve week time limit. The exceptions to this rule include;

Money from your partner will only count if you are married or civil partnered and living together. You may be able to claim Child Benefit again if the child is in care but spends 2 nights in a row each week or 7 days or more in a row at home. You can check if any of these exceptions apply to you by contacting your Child Benefit Office.

What Should You Do Next?

Inform the Child Benefit Office if your child;

By Phone

Telephone: 0300 200 3100
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Outside UK: +44 161 210 3086
Click here to find out about telephone call charges.

By Post

HM Revenue and Customs - Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom

Benefits for Children in Hospital Care; UK Rules Updated 2017