BEFORE YOU BOOK: You will need to have your United Kingdom driving licence number ready, along with:
- A payment method (e.g. a credit or debit card)
- An email address (to avoid having to book by phone)
You must also have lived in England, Wales, or in Scotland for a minimum of six months (185 days) within the last twelve (12) month period (prior to the test date).
Cost of DVSA Theory Test
- Car and motorcycle theory test: £23.
- Lorry and bus theory tests:
- Part 1a (multiple choice questions) £26
- Part 1b (hazard perception) £11
- Part 2 (case studies) £23
Note: You can use your postcode to search online and find the nearest theory test centres in your area.
When You Don’t Need the Theory Test
There is no need to take a theory test before booking your driving test, if you will only be upgrading from:
- An automatic car licence to a manual car licence.
- Any drivers licence to tow a trailer (e.g. taking the car and trailer test).
- Category A1 (small motorcycle) to category A2 (medium motorcycle) providing you held the licence for at least two (2) years.
- Category C1 (medium sized vehicles) to category C (large sized vehicles) unless the C1 entitlement came from passing the car driving test.
- Category D1 (minibus) to category D (bus).
Likewise, you would NOT need to take the DVSA driving theory test in preparation of booking:
- A taxi driving test (learn about driving licences for taxis and private hire vehicles).
- A tractor driving test (such as when learning to drive a tractor or specialist vehicle).
Note: You can get further help by contacting the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). This service is most helpful for people without an email address to book a theory test by telephone.
What to Take to the Theory Test
You will need to take certain documents along to your theoretical examination (e.g. a valid photocard or paper drivers licence).
Note: Failing to take the correct things to your theory test can result in a cancellation. In this case, you would not get a refund of the money.
How to Change a Theory Test Appointment
Using the online booking service means you would be able to:
- Find a cancellation appointment (e.g. an earlier theory test).
- Move your scheduled theory test to a later date.
- Change which particular test centre you will use.
You will need to have your United Kingdom driving licence number to change a theory test appointment online.
Note: You should give the bookings centre a minimum notice of three (3) working days to avoid having to pay again. Sundays and public holidays will not count as a working day.
How to Check Theory Test Details
You can check the date and time of your appointment via the online service. Use it to find a lost or deleted confirmation email of your driving test appointment.
Providing you have a valid UK driver’s licence, the online facility allows you to check:
- The address of the theory test centre you have booked with.
- The date and the time that the centre scheduled for your theory test.
How to Cancel a Theory Test Appointment
You can get a refund if you cancel your theory driving test providing you give at least three (3) clear working days of notice.