Home Rules Children Childcare Divorce Money and Property › Using Mediation
Get Expert Help Splitting Up Your Assets

There may be situations where you need more help on agreeing how to share your assets after a separation. You can try using mediation and several other ways to resolve the issue out of court.

A mediator is service where you can get help agreeing on the division of things that are important to you.

Mediators have specialist training in dealing with irretrievable relationships. They do not take sides.

Using mediation is not the same as getting relationship counselling. The aim is to help you agree on how to divide assets, such as:

  • Money
  • Property
  • Savings and investments

You can find a local mediator by searching the Family Mediation Council (FMC). You would be able to register for a family mediator who practises near to where you live.

In some cases, you can get legal aid for mediation. In others, the mediator may send your case to a court instead (e.g. situations that involve domestic abuse).

Note: Agreements made through mediation services are not ‘legally’ binding. But, you can get a solicitor to draft a consent order. If a court approves, it would then become legal and binding.

Help from Professional Organisations

Besides using mediation, there are several other options available if you need more help agreeing. You should be able to:

  • Get help in other ways from the Citizens Advice (e.g. sorting out debts, children, and the home).
  • Find professional help near to where you live through the ‘Sorting out Separation’ organisation for a relationship break-down.
  • Locate a legal adviser or solicitor who may suggest other ways to resolve issues out of court (e.g. using family arbitration or collaborative law).
Asking a Court to Decide

It is not uncommon to reach some agreement on money and property, but fail to agree on everything else. In this case, you can ask a court to make a decision on the things you have yet to agree on.

But, before applying to court, you need to show that you attended a meeting to see whether mediation is right for you. Certain cases do not require you to attend a Mediation Information Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

Typical examples include separation cases that involve domestic abuse or where the social services are involved.


Making a Consent Order | How to divide assets and possessions ‘fairly’ when couples separate.

Apply for a Financial Order | Asking a court to help divide assets if you cannot reach an agreement.

Get Expert Help to Divide Assets When a Relationship Ends