Home Rules Business Running a Limited Company › Changes to a Company
Tell Companies House about Changes

As a rule, the most convenient way to file a change to a company with Companies House is online. But, you can also inform them of changes using software or by postal methods.

Companies House will need to know if a limited company changes:

  • The company name or the registered office address.
  • Directors and company secretaries (including new appointments, changes to their personal details, or resignations).
  • The accounting reference date or ‘people with significant control’ (PSC).
  • Where the company records get kept (if not the registered address) and which records you keep at a different address.
  • The share structure (e.g. issuing new shares).
  • Details of any new mortgages or any that get paid off.

Note: Some changes to a limited company need shareholder approval by passing a resolution. But, there may be other changes that need reporting to Companies House and HMRC as well.

It is best to make some preparations before filing a change with Companies House. You are going to need:

  • The email address and password that you used to sign up for the Companies House online service.
  • Companies House authentication code that they sent to you.

Companies House WebFiling Help

What if this is the first time for you register with Companies House online? In this case you will need to ‘Register for Companies House WebFiling‘.

When you register for the first time you will need to give them your email address. You will also need to create a strong password for logging in. Companies House will then mail a webfiling authentication code to the registered office address.

Allowing Time for the Company Changes

Companies House need to register a new company address before it ‘officially’ changes. A change to a company name will occur as soon as you register it. Companies House will send out a certificate for a new company name and the date of registration.

Note: Click here to ‘Sign in to Companies House WebFiling‘ to tell them you are making changes to your private limited company.

Filing Changes by Post or Software

You can file a change to Companies House using postal methods. The first step is finding the correct document from Companies House forms. Search the government ‘Company registration and filing‘ page for the right form. Fill it in and then post it to the address written on the form.

Note: You can also make a search online to find software for filing company documents if you have numerous changes to report.

How to Contact Companies House

All UK limited companies, and overseas companies with a branch or place of business in the UK, must register with Companies House. You can either call them or write to Companies House.

Companies House
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Minicom/textphone: 02920226788
Monday to Friday: 8.30am to 6pm
Check the cost of the phone call.
Welsh language: 029 2038 0065

Tell Companies House about Changes to a Limited Company in the United Kingdom