Home Rules Business Running a Limited Company › Changes You Must Report
Company Changes that need Reporting

It is not uncommon for a company to make some changes, such as the registered address. But, there are certain company changes that you must report to Companies House or HMRC.

REPORTING CHANGES: One of the most common details to change in a limited company is the registered office address.

You must not change the company registered office address without informing Companies House.

In turn, they will inform HM Revenue and Customs if they approve the address change.

There are certain rules to follow when changing a company registered office address. The new one must be in the same part of the United Kingdom where the company got ‘incorporated‘ (registered).

That means if a company got registered in England and Wales, the new registered office address must also be in England or Wales.

Note: Companies House need to register a new company address before it ‘officially‘ changes

Other Company Changes to Report

There are certain changes that you must tell HMRC about a change to your business, such as:

  • A change to the business contact details. Typical examples include your name, address, or the business name or trading address.
  • Any time you appoint a tax adviser or an accountant.

You can take 14 days to inform Companies House about some changes to a limited company. They include:

  • Changing the address where you keep the accounting records. You must also inform them which records in particular that you keep at the new address.
  • A change of the company directors or their personal information (e.g. their address).
  • A change of the company secretaries. This can include appointing a new one or ending the appointment of an existing one.
  • Changing ‘people with significant control’ (PSC), or any of their personal details (e.g. a new address).

Note: Issuing extra shares in a company means you must inform Companies House within one (1) month.

Reporting Changes to Companies House

There are several ways to tell Companies House about changes to your limited company. You can either:

  • Use the Companies House online service.
  • Use company filing software.
  • Fill in paper forms and use postal methods.

Changes requiring Shareholder Approval

Some decisions in a limited company need the shareholders to vote before they can go ahead. They include circumstances such as:

  • Changing the name of the company.
  • Removing a director.
  • Changing the company ‘articles of association’.

Shareholder voting is also known as ‘passing a resolution’. As a rule, a resolution needs a shareholder majority to agree. This is better known as an ‘ordinary resolution’. But, a ‘special resolution’ is a vote requiring at least a 75% majority.

Note: Companies House would need to register a new company before it takes effect. They will inform you when it happens.

Shareholder Voting in a Limited Company

Part of running a small limited company can include working out whether there is a majority vote. So, it is best to count the number of shares that give the owner the right to vote. This will often be different to the actual number of company shareholders.

You do not always need a meeting of shareholders to pass a successful resolution. If enough shareholders tell you they agree, you can confirm a resolution in writing. But, you must always inform all shareholders of the decision in writing.

Changes to Details of a Limited Company that need Reporting in the United Kingdom