Home Rules Business Debt and Bankruptcy › Make a Money Claim Online
How to Make a Money Claim Online

Money Claim Online is a secure Internet based service for claimants and defendants. MCOL is a convenient way to make a money claim online or respond to one via the Internet.

MCOL ONLINE: This page explains the procedure for making a money claim online.

The information covers the steps of registration and the two different ways to apply.

You can use the MCOL website when you make a court claim against a person or business that owes you money.

It allows you to use court action against individuals or a business that owes you money. The service gives a defendant an easy option to pay back any monies owed to you.

You are going to need a Government Gateway ID. But, you can set that up when you register for the service – if you do not already have one. It will take around half an hour to submit an online claim.

How to Use Money Claim Online

It is useful to read the Money Claim Online user guide instructions. This will be helpful if you are using the small claims court procedure for the first time. The government publication is a detailed guide on ‘how to use the Money Claim Online‘.

Paying the Court Fee

In some cases, you can get help with court fees if you are on a low income or you are claiming certain benefits. But, the online service does not cater for this situation so you will need to apply to the court by post.

Follow the link to start the process now on the Money Claim Online government website. Remember you will need to pay a court fee. The system allows for payments by debit or credit card.

Other Ways to Make a Money Claim

You can also make a money claim by postal methods. You will need to fill in claim form N1 and then return it to their address with the correct court fee.

How to Make a Money Claim Online in the United KingdomCounty Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
M5 0BY
Telephone: 0300 123 1372
Fax: 0161 743 4023
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5pm
Check phone call charges in Great Britain.

You can only use the money claim service for:

  • Claiming back a fixed sum ‘specified‘ less than £100,000.
  • Claims against no more than two (2) people or two organisations.

Note: You need to be older than 18 to use the MCOL service from anywhere in the United Kingdom. But, you can only use it against someone who has an address in England or in Wales.

When You Cannot Use Money Claim Service

You cannot use the money claim facility to:

  • Get back money from a landlord deposit protection scheme.
  • Get compensation for an accident or an injury.
  • Make a claim against a government department or one of their agencies. Examples include HM Revenue and Customs and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

MCOL Helpdesk for Advice

Money Claim Online Helpdesk
Telephone: 0300 123 1057
Email: [email protected]
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5pm

How to Make a Money Claim Online in the United Kingdom