SIMPLE BASKETBALL RULES: Catch up on 10 main rules of basketball game for beginners.
Learning some simple player tactics of the pacy indoor court game is the essential start for all newcomers.
Once you learn the basics of playing basketball you will realize it is a fast-flowing team sport.
Basketball is a test of your agility, speedy footwork, and physical stamina on the pitch.
Most of the basic governance for playing procedures and equipment get standardized around the world. But some regional variations do exist. Further modifications are also made for wheelchair basketball rules games governed by IWBF.
10 Rules of Basketball UK
We have extracted the top 10 basic rules of basketball for beginners. These simple regulations follow the most popular and well known variant. They are formulations of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and NCAA in North America.
1. Aim of Basketball Game
Describing the objective of the game is the first of 10 basketball rules. Team players try to score points by shooting the basketball ball through the opposing team’s basket hoop.
Note: Both hoops should be securely elevated 10 feet above the floor of the court.
2. Basketball Equipment
The official rules of basketball state the games should get played indoors on rectangular solid flooring (the court). There is a hooped scoring ring at each end and the teams play with an inflated round ball.
3. The Players
The game gets played by two teams with a squad of 12 players to choose from. Basketball basic rules allow a maximum of 5 players allowed on the court at any one time. But there are no limits to the number of basketball player substitutions allowed.
4. Starting the Game
A jump ball or tip-off starts the game. The referee lobs the ball into the air above the center circle. Two opposing players will then leap up while trying to tap it away.
5. Five Rules of Basketball Play
- Players move the ball around the court using dribbling, passing, tapping, rolling, and throwing techniques.
- Each player can take two taps before the ball hits the ground, a basket, a backboard or another player.
- But, unlike some weird and wonderful sports, the most important rule is that you are not allowed to run with the ball.
- Players must pass the ball to a teammate or shoot for goal after putting two hands on the ball (not including catching it).
- Winning possession of the ball in your own half means you must travel over the half way line within 10 seconds to avoid a foul.
6. Match Duration
As a rule basketball matches consist of four quarters of 10 minutes each quarter. There is a 15-minute break at half-time between the end of the second and start of the third period. There is a two-minute interval between the first and second, and third and fourth periods.
7. Scoring Points
Shooting the basketball through your opponent’s hoop scores points for your team. A goal inside the three-point semi-circle achieves a score of two. Goals scored from outside are worth three points.
Free throws must get taken from the free-throw line awarded after a foul and are worth one point.
8. Officiating in Basketball
The list of rules of basketball officials usually includes one basketball referee and one umpire. They swap places after each foul involving a free throw penalty or jump ball decision. Basketball officials use whistles and hand signals to officiate and explain their decisions.
9. Basketball Violations
This simplification of 10 basketball rules for beginners includes a reference to game infringements. Normal play must stop after all rules violations and the other team gains possession of the ball.
Ball Handling Violations
- Double Dribble | Traveling in Basketball | Back Court | Three-Second Rule | Five-Second Possession Violation | Ten-Seconds In The Backcourt | Five-Second Inbound Violation
Space or Lane Violation
- Lane Violation
- Shooting Foul | Technical Foul | Reaching In | Charging | Holding | Hand Check | Blocking | Flagrant Foul
10. Winning the Game
The final regulation in a list containing 10 basic basketball rules is knowing when you have won the game. The winning team is the one who scores most points in the allocated game time.
The match continues with an extra period of five minutes if tied after the fourth period. You may also use further five-minute periods to decide a winner.