PRISON VISITS: You can get financial help to visit a prisoner. It can be:
- Your partner.
- A family member.
- Someone who does not get other visitors.
The financial support you get can help to cover some of the costs of:
- Traveling to the prison.
- Staying somewhere overnight.
In some cases, it also covers the cost of taking a child with you. The same applies if you need another person to help you make a prison visit (e.g. if you are disabled).
Note: You must either be getting certain qualifying benefits or you must have a health certificate to get the help.
Before You Apply for Help with the Cost of Visiting a Prisoner
You can only apply to get help paying for prison visits that:
- You made in the last 28 days.
- You want to make in the next 28 days.
You are going to need:
- The prisoner number.
- The date you made the visit (or plan to make).
- Your National Insurance number.
- Any receipts relevant to the visit.
- A prison visit form stamped by the prison.
Applying by Post for Help with Prison Visits
You can also apply by post, by email, or by phone. You should contact the Assisted Prison Visits Unit to request an application form.
Assisted Prison Visits Unit
PO Box 2152
Note: You can also ask for help if you have questions about using the service. The same department deals with any reports of problems relating to the service.