Home Rules Legal Environment Waste Hazardous Waste › Producers and Holders
Requirements for Producers and Holders

Tight regulations govern the activities of hazardous waste producers and holders in England. Extra requirements apply to certain situations (e.g. if you receive, treat, or dispose of waste).

The information in this guide explains what records you must keep as a hazardous waste producer or holder. Find out what to do if a destination site rejects your load and the rules for transporting your own waste.

Environment Agency regulations apply to any operation or business that:

  • Holds or stores hazardous waste.
  • Has hazardous waste removed from its premises.
  • Produces quantities of hazardous waste.

Any business that produces or stores hazardous waste in England must follow these steps:

  1. Classify different types of waste to check whether it is hazardous.
  2. Separate and store hazardous waste in a safe manner.
  3. Ensure waste carriers are registered and waste destination sites have environmental permits. You should only use authorised businesses to collect, dispose of, or recycle your hazardous waste.
  4. Fill in the relevant sections of the consignment notes. Keep one copy for yourself and give two (2) copies to the carrier who is collecting your waste.
  5. Keep a register (your records) at the premises producing or storing the waste for a minimum of three (3) years.

Records You Need to Keep

As a hazardous waste producer or holder, the records you must keep include copies of:

  • All consignment notes.
  • All consignee returns (obtained from businesses that receive your waste).
  • Any other related documents (e.g. carrier schedules, a list of carriers if there is more than one, records of rejected loads).

Note: You would need to keep records of any missing information if the original documentation is inaccurate or incomplete.

Extra Requirements Apply If:

The Waste is Rejected

You must follow Environment Agency guidance on rejected loads if the destination site you sent it to rejects your hazardous waste.

You are Transporting Your Own Waste

If you move any hazardous waste from either your own or another business you will need to meet the requirements as carriers.

You are Receiving, Treating, or Disposing of Waste

You would need to meet the requirements as consignees if your operation:

  • Receives hazardous waste (including deliveries of waste from your own business).
  • Treats or disposes of hazardous waste on your business premises (including your own waste).

Contacting the Environment Agency

You can contact the Environment Agency by phone or email if you have any questions about the regulations for hazardous waste in England.

Environment Agency
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 03708 506 506
Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Information on call charges.

Requirements for Producers and Holders of Hazardous Waste in United Kingdom