Home UK Rules Legal Environment › Report an Environmental Incident
Report an Environmental Violation

You can report environmental incidents and hazardous situations to the Environment Agency in England. But, you can report certain other types of environmental violations to local councils or to utility companies.

This guide lists the different types of environmental hazards that should be reported to the incident hotline. It also explains how to report the illegal dumping of waste and pollution.

Reporting Incidents to the Local Council

You can notify the local council or the utility company for certain incidents:

Note: Anyone in Wales should report an environmental incident or hazard to Natural Resources Wales instead.

Reporting Incidents to the Environment Agency

The Environment Agency provide a 24-hour incident hotline for reporting environmental hazards, including:

  • Collapsed or badly damaged river or canal banks
  • Damage or danger to the natural environment
  • Dead fish or fish gasping for air
  • Flooding from any river, stream, canal, natural spring or the sea
  • Illegal removals from watercourses
  • Incidents at Environment Agency-regulated waste sites
  • Main rivers blocked by a vehicle or fallen tree causing risk of flooding
  • Poaching or illegal fishing
  • Pollution to water or land
  • Unusual changes in river flow

Incident Hotline
Telephone: 0800 80 70 60
24-hour service
Give information online

Note: There is a set process to complain about the Environment Agency service or to make an appeal against a regulatory decision.

Reporting Waste Crime

You can make an anonymous report to Crimestoppers about the illegal disposal of business or commercial waste.

Telephone: 0800 555 111
24-hour service
Give information online


Dead or Injured Animals

Find out how to report a dead or injured animal, such as a domestic pet found on the road in the United Kingdom.

Oil Spills at Sea

The Marine Management Organisation provide detailed information on cleaning an oil spill including what options you have, how to get an oil cleaning product approved, and how long it will take.

Stranded Whales and Dolphins

You should report a stranded whale or dolphin without delay. Call the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP) hotline immediately.

Transporting Dangerous Goods

Anyone who is shipping dangerous goods needs to follow special rules on how to pack and label them along with specialised staff training.

Reporting an Environmental Hazard or Incident in United Kingdom