The UK Rules
Making a Claim

Employment Tribunal Claim Online

This guide explains how to make a claim to an employment tribunal online. You can also make a claim by post if you download and fill in the ET1 claim form.

Employment Tribunal Making a Claim Online

When you are making a claim online you are going to need:

  1. Your Acas early conciliation certificate number.
  2. Details of your claim (including the background, dates, and people involved).

Note: There is extra guidance available on whistleblowing for employees if this topic relates to the claim.

Employment Tribunal Making a Claim by Post

It is best to read the government guidance before making a claim to an employment tribunal. You can download the ET1 claim form from HMCTS form finder service if you are claiming in England.

In some cases, the claims form states that you need to pay a fee. But, there is no fee to make a claim to the Employment Tribunal. Return the completed form to the appropriate address. The country where you were working will determine which address to use.

Employment Tribunal Central Office (England and Wales)
PO Box 10218
Leicester LE1 8EG
Employment Tribunal Central Office (Scotland)
PO Box 27105
Glasgow G2 9JR

Employment Tribunal Talk-through Services

The employment tribunal talk-through service is not for general enquiries. It applies only to those who need help using a computer. But, before you call them it is best to prepare:

Employment Tribunal Talk-through Service
Telephone: 0300 123 1024
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 5pm
Find out the price of call charges.

Note: This service does not provide advice on the details of any claim. You can contact the employment tribunal customer contact centre number instead.

After Making a Claim to an Employment Tribunal

The 'respondent' is the person you are claiming against. As a rule, they get 28 days to reply to you once they receive your claim form.

Employment Tribunal Claim Online or by PostNote: It is their opportunity to give their version of the case.

You must wait for a period of 28 days to see if they reply. A tribunal will decide whether to conduct a full hearing after the respondent replies.

What happens if the respondent fails to reply to your claim? In this case, the tribunal can decide on your case without the need for you to attend a hearing.

Employment Tribunal Preliminary Hearing

The tribunal can ask you to attend an initial hearing - called a 'preliminary hearing'. This is a situation where the judge makes decisions on circumstances such as:

Arranging Documents

The rules of an employment tribunal allow requests for documentation from each other. Thus, you can ask the respondent to provide documents if it will help your case. Likewise, the respondent can also request documents from the claimant 'you'.

Some examples of documents that may get requested include:

In most cases, tribunals issue orders setting out a timetable for document exchanges. A letter informs you how many copies of each document you would need to take to the hearing.

Organising Witnesses for the Hearing

You can bring a witness or witnesses to the hearing. But, you should only use witnesses that can give evidence that is 'directly' relevant to the case.

What happens if you ask a witness to attend and they do not want to attend? In this case, you can ask the tribunal to make an order for them to attend.

To do so, apply in writing to the same tribunal office that is dealing with your case. They will need to know:

Note: As a rule, the claimant is responsible for paying for the expenses of a witness or witnesses.

Employment Tribunal Making a Claim Online or by Post in the United Kingdom